1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Adding Router to an existing network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by CptBlack, Jul 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CptBlack

CptBlack Thread Starter

Hi, I have a wireless network which currently works fine, but is limited in range. I want to extend this upstairs where I also have a desktop with no wireless card.

The current network uses a Linksys wireless G - WRV54G router. I can use a laptop or desktop1 to connect to this with no problem, wired or wireless, apart from the limited range.

My second router is a Buffalo turbo G WHR-G54S.
    This is positioned in range of the other router, and is connected via wire to desktop2.

I have read various threads and searched the internet but haven't cracked the problem yet.
    The IP address of router1 is 192.168.1.1 with the DCHP range 192.168.1.100-254
    Gateway to the modem: 10.0.0.2

So, on router2, There is a switch on the router auto/bridge, it is now in bridge mode
    I have set the IP address to 192.168.1.2.
    Channel is set to 11, same as router 1.

I am unsure what to do further than this.

If it helps, both desktops are running vista, and both laptops XP pro.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Connecting two (or more) SOHO broadband routers together.

Note: The "primary" router can be an actual router, a software gateway like Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing, or a server connection that has the capability to supply more than one IP address using DHCP server capability. No changes are made to the primary "router" configuration.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router(s) to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address, 192.168.0.253 for another router, etc.

Note: Do this first, as you will have to reboot the computer to connect to the router again for the remaining changes.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router, channels, encryption, etc.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

This procedure bypasses the routing function (NAT layer) and configures the router as a switch (or wireless access point for wireless routers).

For reference, here's a link to a Typical example config using a Netgear router

3. CptBlack

CptBlack Thread Starter

Hi, I have done everything you'd said up to the point of connecting the two routers via ethernet cable. One of my aims is to avoid running a cable up the stairs so I'm trying to get the two routers to connect wirelessly. Is this bit possible?

4. JohnWill

Well, that's a totally different kettle of fish! :D

You need a router that has wireless bridge mode. I know that you could use that Linksys as the secondary router with DD-WRT firmware, it offers wireless bridging. I checked the compatibility, and your Buffalo router appears to be supported as well.

5. CptBlack

CptBlack Thread Starter

I have set the Buffalo router to bridge - I'm assuming I don't need to change any settings on the Linksys.

Further than this, I'm not sure where to go - I can't find anything on Buffalo's guides other than it can be done.

With the Buffalo router, I have set the IP address to be in the same subnet (I think is the word), but outside the DCHP range. Could you point me in the right direction for the next step?

Cheers,
    Chris

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I downloaded a manual from here. You don't have the manual on CD?

Anyhow, I assume you are trying to use the Buffalo w/o the firmware John mentioned. Instructions for wireless bridging begin on page 67 of the manual I looked at. Looks possible if the first router is the same unit; should be a little more challenging using a different router.

7. JohnWill

I'd also keep in mind that their instructions mention using another Buffalo router to talk to the wireless bridge. If these are like Belkin routers, they may simply refuse to talk to a dissimilar router wirelessly in bridge mode.

That's why I like the DD-WRT firmware. :D

8. CptBlack

CptBlack Thread Starter

Ok, I'm going to try and flash the secondary router (Buffalo) with DD-WRT.

Do I need to flash the primary? Or can I leave it as it is? Currently, the in the Linksys control panel, the software version is 2.10 if that makes any difference.
    I would rather not alter the Linksys is possible as it is working fine although with the limitations already mentioned.

(The Linksys model is WRV54G)

Many thanks guys,
    Chris

9. CptBlack

CptBlack Thread Starter

As I feared, I'm having a little trouble flashing the Buffalo with the DD-WRT firmware.

Following the recommended advice on the DD-WRT site, I have downloaded tftp2.exe to flash, which I run as administrator in Vista. The Firmware I am trying to upgrade to is dd-wrt.v24_mini_generic.bin

The error I get at the end is: "Unable to get responses from the server."

I this isn't much information to go on, but can you see where I'm going wrong? I have checked the IP address I've put into the GUI, and the path of the File, they're correct.

Cheers,
    Chris

10. CptBlack

CptBlack Thread Starter

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You do not need any other firmware on the Linksys (unless you decide to try it as the wireless bridge instead of continuing to use it as the primary router).

I don't have any thoughts on the Buffalo firmware debacle. At least, no positive or useful ones. :(

12. CptBlack

CptBlack Thread Starter

I know what you mean - I've had a few thoughts for it, but I can't afford a new window.

It looks like I may have to buy a new one if it is truly nackered. What is your best advice for a cheap-ish routerfor my purposes?

Cheers,
    Chris

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    JohnWill knows an inexpensive router or two with that capability, but I don't recall what they are.

Make sure whatever you get has "wireless bridge" or "AP client" capability. "AP client" is the surest, as "wireless bridge" gets misused more often. You might, as discussed already, get a router with that capability, or an Access Point (example, TRENDnet 54Mbps 802.11G Wireless Access Point ), or "ethernet converter" (which is what Buffalo calls their products). I know nothing about the TRENDnet referenced, but have two similar Airlink101 devices that work well in AP client mode.

With Access Points used in AP client mode you need to also add an ethernet switch to get more than one port.

14. CptBlack

CptBlack Thread Starter

15. JohnWill

Don't do the Linksys one unless you want to do another DD-WRT flash attempt.

I have the ZyXEL P-330W here, and I've personally configured that for wireless bridge mode and it worked very well. It was able to handle the full 20mbit bandwodth of my Verizon FiOS connection doing an Internet speed test. If you can find one of those in the UK, you'd be all set. Here it is on Amazon, but in the US: http://www.amazon.com/ZyXEL-P330W-802-11g-Wireless-Router/product-reviews/B000AAQQBC

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/840453

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice