1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Adding SBS 2011 to Existing Server 2003 Network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by skooterj112, Jan 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skooterj112

skooterj112 Thread Starter

Hello, I am in the process of adding Small Business Server 2011 Standard to an existing Server 2003 R2 Standard domain for the sake of company separation. I tried to add SBS as it's own domain/tree using dcpromo. I'm unable to do this because it's not allowed by SBS.

I have the following:
    Existing Domain Hardware-
    Dell PE R610 with Server 2003 R2 Standard (DC1)
    Dell PE 860 with Server 2003 Standard R2 (DC2)
    Cisco SG300-28P Gigabit POE Managed Switch (4)
    Cisco ASA 5510

Additional Domain Hardware-
    Dell PE R310 Small Business Server 2011 Standard
    Cisco SG200-26P Gigabit POE Smart Switch
    Cisco ASA 5505 (if needed)

My goal is to have the SBS coexist within our current network, but as a separate domain where users of that company can log into it on its own to access files, folders, internet, etc. There will only be 2 or 3 users on the new domain.

Can this be accomplished with separate switches? Is that the ideal way to go about it? What's the best method regarding DHCP for those 2 or 3 users?

Some guidance or a point in the right direction would be extremely helpful!

Thank you in advance!

Jacob

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085675

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice