Adding second hard drive to serve as backup to PC

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Ladysmith94

I have a Dell Optiplex 780 with a 1 TB hard drive operating Windows 10. I have purchased an identical hard drive, also 1 TB, that I want to install internally, but use as a back up to the computer OS, as well as documents and photos.
Question 1 - Can I use an internal hard drive for a back up?
Question 2 - How do I install the second hard drive and enable it to do what I wish?

Here is the SysInfo file. I will note that I am running Avast antivirus

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 8027 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) Q45/Q43 Express Chipset (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM 1.1)
Hard Drives: C: Total - 944947 MB, Free - 763370 MB;
Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0C27VV
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

texasbullet

Ramon
Answers:
Question 1 - Yes you can.

Question 2- Just connect it into your desktop computer (make sure power is off and disconnected and connect it back when done). Make sure it has a separate place to put a hard drive.
To do what you wish that means you may need to program where you want your documents to be saved or move them manually.

crjdriver

It is good that you want to make backups. If you purchase either a WD or Seagate drive, you can download the free version of acronis true image. I use and recommend acronis true image for making image backups.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Ladysmith94:

The motherboard in the Dell OptiPlex 780 has 4 SATA connections and are listed:
SATA-0
SATA-1
SATA-2
SATA-3

Before you install and connect the second hard drive, go into the BIOS setup screen and confirm which SATA ports are already selected(checked) for the original hard drive and the disc drive.

The correct SATA port needs to be selected(checked) so the second hard drive can be recognized and a warning/error message isn't displayed during startup.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
Actually it's a bad idea. With new threats such as the Crypto locker malware that encrypts files on your hard drive and numerous other malware, trojans, virus', etc internal backup drives are just as susceptible as the main drive. Also, if your PC gets damaged by a power surge, lightening strike, fire, theft, water damage, or an internal failure that internal drive can also be damaged or lost. A proper backup is one that is disconnected from the computer and stored in a safe spot. Preferably you actually have two and you rotate them if the data is very important to you and one is stored away from your main building. USB connected drives therefore are what I would recommend.

As I said. Cobian does a perfect backup.
An external drive, a second drive or even an FTP server.

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
Never said Cobian was bad just that any backup, including Cobian's, is susceptible to numerous things if stored on a drive that is constantly attached to the computer.

Rob I agree. Hence the FTP option is a good one if you have a server to send your files to. However most people know little about FTP.

crjdriver

One last thing. No backup is really worth anything until you validate your ability to restore the backup. An image file you cannot restore is not worth much.
Multiple backups are really the best. I make at least 4 copies of important financial records; one on a second internal drive, one on a NAS [which is shutdown unless actually doing something with it] one on an external [that is also OFF unless it is being used] and last one on a different system.

That might seem paranoid however it only takes one time losing important records to make you paranoid.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online