1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

adding second router on network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by rlowery98, May 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rlowery98

rlowery98 Thread Starter

hello i have added a second router to my network in a second building at my location.
    my dsl comes in and into my first router which is the dhcp server for the network in both buildings.
    the ip address of the first router is 192.168.1.1 and works fine with all computers online.
    i added a second router to help the network and have made the ip address of the second router 192.168.3.1 and all computers in the second building behind the second router are online and working fine.
    my problem is on one of my computers in the first building has my quickbooks file and all the computers on the second router cannot see the computer that has the files in the network neighborhood. before adding the second router all computers in both buildings were visible and shared and all had access to all computers
    how can i get the computers in the second building behind the second router map to the computers on the first router?

DSL - Router(192.168.1.1)- 4 computers online ------ second router (192.168.3.1) - 9 computers online
    192.168.3.XXX computers cannot see 192.168.1.XXX computers, want to map a network drive to group
    thanks
    robert

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

I don't have a specific answer, but I'm wondering why you used another router instead of a switch so that all machines would have the same 192.168.1.1 as a gateway and be on the same network.

3. rlowery98

rlowery98 Thread Starter

thank you for the reply but it is kind of a unique situation
    router 1 is a residence and router 2 is a business that gets internet from the residence.
    the problem is a few weeks back a storm came thru and took out the first router and since all the machines downline are dhcp they all lost connection to each other. in the business all machines lost connection and could not communicate with each others point of sale. so the business had to close down until a new router was purchased to replace the one the storm took out.
    so i installed a new router at the residence and installed a router at the business so by chance if another storm comes and takes the first router out at least the business can run the POS system it may not have internet but at least the business can run crippled.
    the problem i want solved is the files i want to access is on a computer at home at 192.168.1.125
    and the new router is at 192.168.3.1 and none of the computers can access the 192.168.1.XXX computers
    how do you map a computer on a second network
    thanks
    Robert

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    In a Run box type

\\192.168.1.125

and you may be able to get access to that computer. Or you may be able to map a network drive using IP address.

You could put everything on the same network with the following procedure, but then if the primary router is trashed again you would need to re-enable the Dhcp server on the business router for the local networking to work until the primary router is replaced or repaired.

JohnWill's procedure (Aug. 30, 2008) for configuring a secondary router as a switch and, optionally, wireless access point follows.

Connecting two (or more) SOHO broadband routers together.

Note: The "primary" router can be an actual router, a software gateway like Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing, or a server connection that has the capability to supply more than one IP address using DHCP server capability. No changes are made to the primary "router" configuration.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router(s) to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address, 192.168.0.253 for another router, etc.

Note: Do this first, as you will have to reboot the computer to connect to the router again for the remaining changes.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router, channels, encryption, etc.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. [You will not need a cross-over cable if one of the "routers" is a computer.] Leave the WAN port unconnected!

This procedure bypasses the routing function (NAT layer) and configures the router as a switch (or wireless access point for wireless routers).

For reference, here's a link to a Typical example config using a Netgear router

5. rlowery98

rlowery98 Thread Starter

thank you for the reply but typing in \\192.168.1.125 says path not found when trying to access it from any computer on the 192.168.3.XXX network
    and also when trying to map a network drive with the above ip address does not work either
    also any computer on the business router cannot ping the home router.
    i really wanted to keep my business and home connected as i do not know when i want to access my most important file on my home computer on the home router
    thanks
    robert

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Now you know why I was so careful to include the word "may." :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1054411

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice