1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Adding shortcuts to /etc/inittab

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by sawanv, Sep 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sawanv

sawanv Thread Starter

Hello all.

Here we go...

I want to set up my own shortcuts in /etc/inittab so that, for example, I can have CTRL+ALT+End shutdown the system.

Yes I know I can point CTRL+ALT+Del to /sbin/shutdown -h. I want it left to the reboot option.

Yes I know there is something called kbrequest. There appears to be no docs about that. No docs on how to connect it to keys in inttab. There were a couple of mails in Debian lists but couldnt understand what they were on about.

What the hell is the matter when we cant seem to find documentation for this kind of stuff? It pisses me off incredibly. Hasnt anbody tried to do this kind of stuff before? There is an HOWTO in some Eastern Europen language which Google translation screwed up. God...

Sawan

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

3. sawanv

sawanv Thread Starter

Thanks for your eply, but you did not read my post correctly.

I WANT ctrl+alt+del to point to shutdown -r, i.e. the default option.

I want to be able to define my own key bindings (maybe ctrl+alt+insert) to be able to do anything else I want (maybe a shutdown -h).

Sawan

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!