1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Adding Users in Active Directory

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jbomba, Jan 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jbomba

jbomba Thread Starter

I am running a Windows 2003 server. When I try to add users to the active directory I get the following error.
    Windows cannot create the object...
    Unable to update the password. The value provided for the new password does not meet the length, complexity or history requirements of the domain.

But I haven't set up any requirements, I set up about 20 users before I got this message and now everytime I try to add another user I get the message. I was thinking about removing the AD and then set it back up but we run 99% of the time and I can't risk shutting the server down for a significant amount of time if there is another way to correct the issue. I have tried all combos of passwords, no passwords and passwords I have assigned to other users that work and I keep getting the same error.
    Any Ideas!!!

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Take a look at your domain GPO's that relate to secuirty this is sounding like someone has enabled something that relates to password complexity requirements.

Open Domain GPO and then go to Computer configuration/Windows Settings/Secuirty Settings/Account Policies/Password policies.

The 2 culprits will probably be -

password must meet complexity requirements and minimum password length.

3. jbomba

jbomba Thread Starter

Whats the fix? I know where the settings are, what do I need to do with them. Should I set up rules or what.

4. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

I would disable them all and see if you can then log in. Then from there set the ones you want to increase security to the level/length you want.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!