1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Adding Video Card - Won't Work

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sean1313, Mar 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sean1313

sean1313 Thread Starter

Hi! This is my first post on this forum and I hope someone can help me out.

I'm trying to add a ATI Rage Pro Turbo PCI video card and I am probably doing things in the wrong order and i am nervous i'll end up without any display. I have on-board graphics on my motherboard (Gigabyte K8VM800MAE) and in the manual it says that on-board graphics is automatically disabled when you add a graphics card. So in Device Manager I uninstalled the on-board graphics, shut down, and installed the ATI card in PCI 1. I connected my monitor to the new card and restarted. Monitor says no signal. I hooked the monitor back to the old output and i have display but with lower resolution than I had before (i was able to change back to proper resolution) . I went back to Device Manager and the on-board graphics was still there and the new ATI card was recognized too. In Properties it says: Device cannot start (Code 10).

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks
    Sean

Acer Aspire T135
    AMD Sempron 3300+
    2.0 GHz
    160 GB HD
    256 MB DDR RAM
    Gigabyte K8VM800MAE Motherboard

Windows XP Home Edition

2. lefty1953

lefty1953

Double check your cable. Make sure you didn't bend any pins.

3. cmw2010

cmw2010

While hooked up to the onboard display output, try to ugdate the drivers for your ATI card then switch them again.

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

If you tap F8 after hitting power button like you are going into safe mode, only when you get to choices choose Vga drivers, then you should have enough video to boot from pci card and then download newer driver. Are you certain the card works as it is a bit old and probably won't even do as well as your onboard it sounds like.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/548889

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice