Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adding Video Card - Won't Work

4K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Rich-M 
#1 ·
Hi! This is my first post on this forum and I hope someone can help me out.

I'm trying to add a ATI Rage Pro Turbo PCI video card and I am probably doing things in the wrong order and i am nervous i'll end up without any display. I have on-board graphics on my motherboard (Gigabyte K8VM800MAE) and in the manual it says that on-board graphics is automatically disabled when you add a graphics card. So in Device Manager I uninstalled the on-board graphics, shut down, and installed the ATI card in PCI 1. I connected my monitor to the new card and restarted. Monitor says no signal. I hooked the monitor back to the old output and i have display but with lower resolution than I had before (i was able to change back to proper resolution) . I went back to Device Manager and the on-board graphics was still there and the new ATI card was recognized too. In Properties it says: Device cannot start (Code 10).

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks
Sean

Acer Aspire T135
AMD Sempron 3300+
2.0 GHz
160 GB HD
256 MB DDR RAM
Gigabyte K8VM800MAE Motherboard

Windows XP Home Edition

See less See more
#4 ·
If you tap F8 after hitting power button like you are going into safe mode, only when you get to choices choose Vga drivers, then you should have enough video to boot from pci card and then download newer driver. Are you certain the card works as it is a bit old and probably won't even do as well as your onboard it sounds like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.