1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Adding Virtual Machine with XP

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by dtsaudio, Mar 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dtsaudio

dtsaudio Thread Starter

Hello,
    First post here, I hope this is the correct forum.
    Just started setting up a W10 machine, and so far so good. However I have a number of technical and financial programs on my old XP machine. I need to access these and also need to transfer about 1000 files.
    My thought was to take my old hard drive (which has XP installed) and install it in the new computer and then set it up as a virtual machine.
    Will this work? Is there anything I should watch out for?

2. dlipman

dlipman

First Name:
    David
    You can put the hard disk on Win10 and copy the data files over.

Have you tried installing the technical and financial programs under Win10 in Normal or Compatible Mode ?

3. dtsaudio

dtsaudio Thread Starter

Copying the data files is the easy part.
    The programs are 16bit and do not work even in compatibility mode.

4. dlipman

dlipman

First Name:
    David
    I see. They would run under a Win10 32 bit system. But pre-built systems come with Win64.
    Win10/32 still supports NTVDM.

I'll defer the concept of running what you have under a Virtual Machine to someone else.

5. dtsaudio

dtsaudio Thread Starter

Thanks, I heard that 32 bit would work, but I'm not going there.

6. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    If your XP is OEM, you'll likely need to buy a new key since you are changing hardware.

It might be helpful to post the apps used and formats saved in. There might be a current MS app that could open and re-save in a current format, maybe even something in the Linux universe.

7. dtsaudio

dtsaudio Thread Starter

There's nothing that will replace any of these programs. They are too old and were limited sitribution tech sofware.
    I think my focus right now is going to be getting the huge pile of files off of the old drive and onto the new drive. Mostly they are PDF, DOC, and pictures.
    Once I transfer those I can worry about the old apps.

I have a SATA to USB adapter. Do these work? I'm not worried about speed, just safety.

8. dlipman

dlipman

First Name:
    David
    Yes. USB to SATA or USB to EIDE/PATA will allow you to access the drive and copy data from it.
    Worse case scenario is you'll have to Take Ownership of the files and folders if you get access denied errors.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1224042

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice