1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Adding VPN users for Prosafe VPN Firewall FVS318

Discussion in 'Networking' started by TinaJansen, Feb 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TinaJansen

TinaJansen Thread Starter

Anyone have step by step instructions on how to add VPN users for a Prosafe VPN firewall fvs318v3? I have read the manual, which I have not felt was helpful. I want to do a home to work vpn connection for several employees. All I am seeing is a place to put in IP addresses. Surely there has to be a way to set this up based on user name and password. Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

2. srhoades

srhoades

I just looked at the manual. Pages 4-6 through 4-16 were step by step and rather detailed. Run the wizard, enter whatever preshared key you want, install the Netgear VPN client on the users end, and configure it per the instructions.

3. TinaJansen

Yes, but that is only for adding one user via IP address. I'm looking to add multiple users. Are you saying that all users will share the same key?

4. srhoades

srhoades

I don't see why you couldn't run the wizard numerous times to create a separate VPN policy for each user.

5. TinaJansen

Yes, but you would have to know the external WAN of each user. I'm looking to tie this in with Active Directory end users. I'm still not seeing where you can add in multiple users with names and passwords. To set up individual users based on address and key doesn't seem like a very usable system.

6. srhoades

srhoades

You are not configuring a gateway to gateway VPN connection, that would require their WAN address. You are creating a gateway to client connection. You configure the Netgear VPN client software with the WAN of the Netgear and the preshared key for the policy that you created. Just create a policy and key for each user.

7. TinaJansen

By the way, thanks for all your help! Ok, I get what you are saying; but is there a place on the Netgear that you can put in individual users? I want them to have to use at the very least a password in order to use the VPN. Somehow, another layer of authentication should be in place. I am just going from past previous experience from being a VPN user. We had to put the key in (just once while setting up the VPN from the client side) and then we had to authenticate with user name and password.

8. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

The FVS318 does not support the additional layer of user authentication with VPN tunnels. If you want that, you'll have to upgrade the router to a different brand if you want to stick with IPSEC VPNs. The only level of authentication done is at the VPN level in negotiating/bringing the tunnel up through either a preshared key or through a certificate.

As far as knowing the public IP of each user, you don't need this for remote client VPNs. You do if you are going to establish a site to site VPN tunnel. For remote client VPNs, there are two ways to do this. One is to configure the built in VPN client within Windows. This is the link with instructions on how to do it via Windows 2000. The steps are similar for XP. I don't know if the steps are applicable for Win 7.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/970

The other method is to use Netgear's ProSafe client. The FVS318 does not come with the ProSafe client. You have to buy this. The FVS338 does come with one licensed copy. Here are the instructions for setting up connectivity via the ProSafe client:

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/20

An alternative is to use SSL VPN where you do get user level authentication. Netgear has two routers with SSL VPN capabilities as well as other vendors.

9. TinaJansen

Thank you again for your time and help. I set up two users within my vpn using the wizard.Under ESP configuration I enabled encryption and authentication. I went to set up my vpn using the windows 7 vpn wizard and it asks me for a user name and password. If I leave this blank it still asks for it when I try to connect. It also does not ask me to put in the preshared key. Any ideas?

10. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Sorry, I don't have any input on doing this on Win 7. As I said, I've only configured the Windows VPN client on Win 2k and XP. You should seriously consider using the Netgear ProSafe client to save yourself time and aggravation.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088876

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice