1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Adding webmail account to Outlook

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Jimtalbert, Aug 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jimtalbert

Jimtalbert Thread Starter

My ISP has begun filtering SPAM out of my regular incoming e-mail and putting it into a webmail account which I access via my browser. I would like to add that as a 2nd account in Outlook for easier access. The e-mail account wizard seems to think all new accounts must have server addresses. Does anyone know how to add a webmail account to Outlook?

2. DataDawg

DataDawg

Webmail (Hotmail or whatever vairiant you use) was invented so people could access their email using only a Web browser when they couldn't get to a mail program. I.e., you're at a hotel on a business trip and they have an "Office Center" with web access only.

Outlook does not support Web Mail and that's why you can't configure Outlook to open your Web Mail. Instead, create a "favorite" in your browser to get to your Web Mail. The whole idea behind Web Mail clients is that you can use them with a Browser when a Mail Client is not available.

3. Jimtalbert

Thanks, DataDawg. I was hoping to have Outlook enter my webmail name & password for me automatically. I wasn't able to get Outlook help or the MS Office web site to answer my question so I appreciate your help very much!

4. RandyG

RandyG

What version of Outlook are you using?

Outlook versions prior to 2000 could not do anything with web based mail. Outlook 2000 allows tou to create a Webail folder, but it is the same thing as checking online. Outlook 2002, however, OL2002: How to Configure Outlook 2002 with Hotmail;)

Obviously, you can use Outlook Express with no problems.

A work around, would be to download and use MailWasher. It, currently, does not support webbase dmail, but plans to be able to do Hotmail by the end of August! It's a good program to use at any rate.

5. Jimtalbert

Hi, RandyG. I'm using Outlook 2002 (XP). I followed the instructions in the article you referenced and was able to get my webmail account added. I had expected to have an 'Accounts' button appear on the toolbar but it didn't. Do you know how to add that?
    Thanks for your help!

6. RandyG

RandyG

OK, at first I didn't understand what you meant by an accounts button, but I happen to have Office Pro 2002 on another system and took a look. The accounts button is the same as the drop-down arrow on the Send button in Outlook 2000, which allows you which account to send from.

I haven't actually used 2002 before, but the Accounts box appears when you reply to a mail, and only then. If yours does not show up, I would suggest running the Repair tool.

7. Jimtalbert

Hi, RandyG. I was able to set up the webmail account in Outlook and confirm that the 'Accounts' button (pull-down) is there when I start a new message (just in a different location than expected on the toolbar). However, I get an error message when I try to get Outlook to update the list of webmail folders. It shows the standard 4 folders--inbox, outbox, deleted items & sent items. The folders in my webmail are different (e.g., one is 'MailGuard'). I need to be able to get to those folders in order to check the filtered messages. I've tried using the File pulldown to add a folder but that option is grayed out when my webmail account is selected.

8. RandyG

RandyG

Hi Jim,

As I said, I haven't used it before, and have just been searching for articles that could help. Hopefully, someone else will jump in and take it from here, as I would have to create a webmail account, set it up on the other system, and see if I get the same options you have stated, and then try to find out how to add the other ones.

Frankly (said with a smile on my face), I'm not going to do that!!:D

9. Jimtalbert

Hi, Randy. Can't blame you. I wouldn't expect you to do all that. Another problem arose which makes using webmail via Outlook less desirable. When Outlook checks for new e-mail, it checks the webmail account also. Webmail is set up so that I have to go through two menus to get to the inbox. Since Outlook can't do that, I get an error message each time Outlook tries to query webmail for new messages. Let's call the whole thing off!
    Thanks anyway.

10. RandyG

RandyG

Heheh, fair enough.

keep that mailwasher program in mind though, as they are planning on having Hotmail checking available the end of this month. It is handy, especially to filter out spam or viruses, before they get to your machine!!:D

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!