1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Adding Wireless to an existing wired network

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JosephByers, Jan 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JosephByers

JosephByers Thread Starter

I have a high speed cable ISP. My home is wired with cat 5 cable operating from a wired modem. I would like to put a computer in a place that isn't wired, but I would like to keep the wired connections operating. Does anybody know if you can add a wireless router to an existing wired system and how to accomplish this?

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

You can do this 3 ways. 1) Buy a WAP and hook it up to the existing router at any point it can even use your prexisting cat 5 wiring as a piggy back if you want it in another room closrt to your wireless PC/laptop/or periphrial you want wireless. This effectively gives you a wireless beacon on your wired network. 2) The other way you can do it is buy a wireless router and replace your wired router. 3) You can buy a wireless router and disable all router functions such as DHCP and whatnot and hook it up to your existing lan cabling using one of the internal 1-4 ports not the WAN port.

3. D0C_Hol1d@y

[email protected]

just buy a wireless router and set it up according to the directions. It works easy. I did it before I knew anything about networking 4 years ago. The default settings are DHCP so just have your computers set to automatically assign IP addresses and gateways. It's extremely simple really.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/437691

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice