Adding XP to WIN98/2000 dual boot

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

roqmon

I was lucky enough to get a new 40 gig HD last weekend to add to my wife's PC, but the bios was too old to read it as a full 40 gig HD.....so I got to add it to my system.

My question is can I add Win XP pro (using the customized options) to my current Dual Boot sytem on a clean drive letter.

Will I then get a Tri-boot option at start up?
What files should I back up b/4 installing (boot.ini) ?

Should I keep it FAT32 or should I do NTFS on that drive letter.

How much of the 40 gigs should I make just for WIN XP? (I was thinking about 12 gigs)

Thank you for your help as always!!

RoQ
;)

here is a microsoft article on it
HERE

I certainly would make a copy of the boot.ini for backup just in case.

roqmon

Thanx Brian...

What if I also wanted to add OpenLinux to the mix......
I guess I could always use the boot disk method!

Thanx again....

RoQ

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online