Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

additional computer?

902 views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  pedroguy 
#1 ·
ive been given an old lap top (its running XP so not that old!) & Im wondering if all I need for an internet connection do I just buy a cable & plug it into one of the free sockets at the back of my router?
I doubt if its wireless so im guessing a cable is the way to go? Besides, someone disabled the wireless part of the router for security reasons for me & I wouldnt have a clue how to reset that!
Or, is it not that simple? like do I have to register it with my isp or download some program or what?
My desktop is running Vista if that makes a difference.

sorry, no idea!:confused:

#2 ·
If you are going to hardwire it it the router,it's pretty straight forward.
Hire's how I would do it:

• Turn off everything, the modem, router, computer.
• Connect the computer to one of the router's LAN/Network ports.
• Turn on the modem, wait for a steady connect light.
• Turn on the router, wait for two minutes.
• Boot the computer.
Should not require registration or any downloaded programs.
Making it wireless is pretty straight forward also.The router's user's manual would be a good guide to that setup.
And if necessary,we can give you guidance also.
If you are going to want to share resources between the two pc's(printer/files etc)
that will take a bit more setting up,but again,we can give you some guidance in that regard also.

#3 ·
ok, thanks. How would I go about making a wifi connection to the router? Bearing in mind Ive lost the routers instructions & believe the wireless function has been turned off somehow?
Ive seached everywhere on my computer for routers, modems etc but cant see any mention of it despite it being connected to the damed thing!
the router is Dynamode R-ADSL-C4W-EG

#5 ·
OK:First things first.
I have logged onto the the Dynamode site,looking for the user's manual for your model.
Will not allow access to that part of their website.
Here is the email address.You might ask them how you can get a user's manual.
Email: support@dynamode.co.uk
I would take one of the existing cables with you and ask for the same.

How do you see your modem/router(by the way,this unit is a combo modem router) ?

Try this.
From a Johnwill post on the Networking Forum

Try these simple tests.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD (COMMAND for W98/WME) to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type the following commands one at a time, followed by the Enter key:

IPCONFIG /ALL

The address of your modem router will be defined as the default gateway,and probably your dns and dhcp server.The ipaddress at the top of the display will be the addrress of the pc from which you entered the above command.
That may be more than you wanted to know,or not what you wanted to know,but there it is anyway.

#7 ·
OK:What don't you understand? Hopefully I can explain it.
The part about the manual.Contact the email address I provided and see if they can provide you a user's manual for your model.Without it,we are pretty much out of luck(probably) in configuring a wireless connection.I can try to Google the info,but no guarantees.
If we are going forward with a wired connection,then the instructions in post #2 should be fairly easy to follow(just eliminate the router part).
Don't worry.We can take it a step at a time.

#8 ·
I wish I knew what you are talking about! Sorry, Im a complete novice at this
Forget about wireless(was disabled for security, leave it that way for same reason).

Ask for ethernet cable (cat5).

Plug one end into router and the other into computer.

#9 ·
Hi, sorry for being thick here!
My router? isnt that the same as a modem but can connect (wirelessly or cable) to lot of computers? Anyway whatever it is its the gizmo that connects my computer to the phone line!
The laptop- it doesnt seem to have a sockect the same as the one my desktop is using to connect to the router. Do I need a different cable for this?
Wireless, actually I would like to enable this function as the laptop would be handy to use in another room!
The only reason the desktop is cable connected is 'cos its next to the router & phone socket!
Ive emailed dynamode for instruction manual.
Should I not be able to find the router in the program/hardware files? there is no sign of it! Its like its invisible to windows!

#10 ·
Yes.You have one unit.A combo modem/router.

You will not find the modem/router in the program files.It does not require a program.All it needs is what is called firmware,which is in the modem/router itself.
Your laptop should have at least one lan/ethernet port just like your desktop.
Make and model of laptop ?
To set up wireless,hopefully you will get a user's manual from the vendor.Really won't be able to help you much there without it.They are all different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.