1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Additional Harddrive not detected by my computer!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Phatboii1223, Jan 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Phatboii1223

Phatboii1223 Thread Starter

OK , its a rather long story btu for sake of any left out information I will explain everything.

Ok, i bought an external hardd rive about 6 months ago before my computer crashed. Transferred all my files , then erased my computer (I didnt have ym reformat cd at the moment so i actually erased manually most of my files ((not windows operational files))) any way. It just so happens that while removing ym external hard drive to place it in a more conveniant spot the usb port snapped. I took it to the store but they said it didnt cover in the warranty. So after tryign in diffrent places i decided to open ym external hard dirve and keep the hard drive itsself.

The hard drive is SATA , so i had to buy a converter to install it as an internal hard drive in my computer . After much effort it was connected and the tech guys at CompUSA helped me by recognizing the harddirve using BIOS. The harddrive worked fine for about 6 months until i reformatted my CPU about 3 days ago. Now my additional hard drive (the once external hardrive isnt recognized ) so im pretty sure its not a matter of wiring because it once worked how it is connected now (and i havent changed anything). So im sure its simply adjusting the harddrive with BIOS again. When i enter my BIOS setting in startup i can see the hard dirve is recognized but i do not know what tod o form here so it appears on my computer.

PS: I dont want to lose the information i have on ym harddirve , so if a format is required what other options do i have!?

PLEASEEE HELP , SCHOOL STARTS TOMORROW AND I NEED MY FILES!

2. Phatboii1223

PLease HElp!!!

3. die_fiend

die_fiend

I'm not too sure what you mean when you say you reformatted your cpu - if you mean you formatted the once external hard drive, you'll have lost all the data on it already. What exactly did you format?

EDIT: Also, what version of Windows are you running?

4. Phatboii1223

I mean i left my original hard dirve ( C:\\ ) at factory settings and reinstalled Windows XP Home Edition Service PAck 2. I am 100% sure the additional harddirve wasnt affected during this process because i disconnected it before.

5. Phatboii1223

ANy one:'(

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/669686

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice