Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Additional Operating System

730 views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  gotrootdude 
#1 ·
I am sure that this question will seem dumb, but just out of curiosity.........

I am running XP Home Ed. on my pc......is it possible to have more than one o.s. on my hard drive? In particular, can I have xp on c drive and somehow have another drive that I can switch to when I want to use 98?

#2 ·
Hi There!

Yes you can, but the setup and configuration can be a headache if you're not sure how to do it.

The first thing though...

Win98 MUST be installed first. After win98 is installed, then you can install WinXP and configure the system for Dual-Boot.

In order to complete this process, you MUST have installation CD's for both Win98 and WinXP. Sorry but Restoration CD sets from the PC maker(if it's a Dell, Compaq, HP, etc) won't work because you must install rather than image the drive.

Also, you will need Drivers for all your devices for BOTH versions of windows as well.

Good Luck!

ST

#8 ·
This isn't very hard to do. I do it with PartitionMagic (PM) and BootMagic (BM). Ranish Partition Manager and XOSL could also be used. Install both progs that you're going to use and make the boot floppies for each.

1) First create 2 additional partitions with PM. Make the second one on the HDD primary (for 98SE) and the 3rd extended/logical. (for shared data.)

2) Hide the XP partition with PM.

3) Install 98SE to the second primary partition. (it will show as C: because the first partition is hidden.)

And you're done. It'll now boot to 98 everytime until you use BootMagic floppy to switch to XP. Everytime you switch OS's it'll always boot to that OS until you use BM again.

The way BM works is to hide all primary partitions except the one you want to boot from. This is why you have to make the shared data partition logical.

#12 ·
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.