Address Bar Search

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

DebbyR

Hi :)
I am wondering... how do you set the default "search" for the address bar? I have noticed that mine has recently changed, to webservice? And its lousy!
Any ideas how that changed? And how do I change it back? What is the best?
Thanks.
Debby

DebbyR

Thanks for answering me... thought nobody could see my post!! :D

No, actually... I like to just type a word in the address bar of my browser, and hit go, it usually searches for sites... kinda like google...

but recently, it changed to this other search site... websearch. I am not sure if it used to be MSN search, or what. Didn't really pay attention. But I had noticed that some computers had better searches that started up from the address bar... and some were incapable of searching from the address bar.

What I am wondering, is how do you change what your system uses? I'm not really sure where I should ask this question, but since I use Win98SE & Internet Explorer, I thought it would work here.

Thanks for any help! :D

Cheeseball81

Retired Moderator
Try this...

With Internet Explorer just click View / Explorer Bar / Search (or click the "Search" button in your Toolbar) to bring up the side panel. If you have a side bar, then click "Change Preferences" or it might be "Customize" then "Change Internet Search Behavior" or "Choose Service" to bring up a list of search engine you can use.

Cheeseball81

Retired Moderator
Just a random thought...
When you go into Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs...
Is "New.net" listed there?

DebbyR

Hi.
No, its not there, nor was it found in find files.
I also re-set the internet options, advanced dealing with search from address bar... no change.

Cheeseball81

Retired Moderator
Darn...
I really thought it would be there

Anything new listed in there? ShopNAV?

DebbyR

Scarey thing... I did a google search on webservice... and it came up with email extracting software, for websites?? :O

Cheeseball81

Retired Moderator
Yeah I was just looking up some info too...

You can try running AdAware and SpyBot Search and Destroy
It may eliminate any unwanted Spyware, Parasites, Toolbars and Search Engines

Also CWShredder is good too

DebbyR

Thanks,
Will do. I ran RegCleaner, and see some new entries... but not sure if they are bad.
AddRemovePro
NavHelper
PCDoctor
??

Cheeseball81

Retired Moderator
NavHelper! I think that's it.

That is a browser helper object that redirects your address bar searches to apps.webservicehost

Can you uninstall that in Add/Remove?

DebbyR

Hey Hey Hay~
You did it! That was it!
Thanks so much for your help...
My husband must of picked that up somewhere... been letting him use my laptop lately, and he's pretty much computer illiterate.
Whew, that was hard.
Thanks again!
Deb

Cheeseball81

Retired Moderator
Yay!! :D LOL

Whew, that was a rough one.
Glad it's fixed! You're very welcome

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online