1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Address book in Word

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Dsquared, Sep 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dsquared

Dsquared Thread Starter

Can I use my Outlook Express address book to address envelopes and labels in Word? Word keeps asking for Microsoft Exchange. I don't have Microsoft Exchange on my computer. If I can't use my "Microsoft" Outlook Express address book in my "Microsoft" Word program, how can I set up another address book to use in Word?

2. XL Guru

XL Guru

Outlook Express 6? I'm not sure about "Word keeps asking for Microsoft Exchange" -- what are you trying to do at this point?

One thing I do know is you can do this if you have 5 mins to spare and Excel.

In OE, File -- Export -- Address Book. Highlight "Text File (CSV)", click Export. Save as eg: "addresses.csv". Click Next, the next bit "select the fields ..." is self-explanatory. Click Finish, then close the window.

Open the file in Excel (you'll need "All Files" for Files of Type), then Save As (Save as Type = "Excel Worbook").

Then you can use the XL version as your data source in Word merge. NB - under step 2 (Get Data -- Open Data Source), you'll need to change Files of Type to "Excel Worksheets", then OK the "Entire Spreadsheet" prompt.

HTH,
    Andy

3. Dsquared

Dsquared Thread Starter

Yes, I have Outlook Express 6 and Word 2000.

What happens in Word is this: I go into Word's Envelopes & Labels screen and click the address book icon where I assumed I could either create a directory specific to Word or import the address book in OE6. Instead I get an error message that says: "Loggon failed. You must log on to Microsoft Exchange to access your address book." Why in the world would Exchange be necessary?

I used to use WordPerfect on a previous computer. WP allowed me to set up an address book to use on letters, labels, and envelopes.

I do not have Excel on this computer. I do have MS Works Suite.

4. XL Guru

XL Guru

>> I do not have Excel on this computer

Then it doesn't really count as a computer. <g>

Try this first (since I never have done) -

(In Word,) Tools -- MailMerge. Create Main Document -- Form Letters -- Active Window. Get Data -- Use Address Book. At this point, do you have "Outlook Address Book" or "Personal Address Book" options?

Post back with how you get on.

Rgds,
    Andy

5. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Believe it or not...

Open Internet Explorer.
    Go to Tools-Internet options.
    Programs tab.
    What's your email program?
    Make sure it's OE and not Outlook.

6. XL Guru

XL Guru

Blimey, this one's a pig.

Found this on MSKB at
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;211206

"The Outlook Express Address Book is not designed for use with Microsoft Word 2000. Therefore, when you try to perform a mail merge with the Outlook Express Address Book, either it will not be an available address book, or you may receive one of the following error messages:

Logon failed. You must log on to Microsoft Exchange to access your address book.

-or-

Error code: Unspecified error"

... but it doesn't really go on to give a fix. One thing I did manage using OE6, Word 2K and Works 2K -- in OE6, export as CSV. In Works d-base, open the file and Save As dBase IV (tho' this trunced some fields). Then use that as the data source (Confirm Data Source = dBase files via ODBC *.dbf).

HTH,
    Andy

7. Dsquared

Dsquared Thread Starter

XL Guru:

tools/document type/form letter/ I then get the option of: "merge from address book" or "merge from another type of document" When I choose address book, I get a blank document.

8. Dsquared

Dsquared Thread Starter

Dreamboat

It's OE

9. Dsquared

Dsquared Thread Starter

Thanks for all your help but at this point, it's just not worth spending any more time on it. So whenever I need to address an envelope or label in Word, I just have to do it manually....or go back to a real word processor like WP which also does "reveal codes"

10. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    If you have people you regularly send to, create autotext entries for them. Look it up in help.

Tips:
    Always use 4-letter, lower-case "names" for your autotext entries.
    Never use 4-letter "names" that spell real words.

Let me know if you cannot figure out how to make autotext entries. It's so cool.

11. XL Guru

XL Guru

Dsquared,

Sorry you couldn't get going with this, it does seem pretty horrendous. You wade thru Word Help & it says stuff like "you can use *the Personal Address Book*" ; rilly? -- where's that? IT DOESN'T SAY.

I don't like Word much. & I've never used WP, but have read some articles that it's far better. But to (try and) be fair, you did say "WP allowed me to" set it up. Well of course you can do the same in Word at the Create Data Source stage. However, I understand your frustration.

Regrets,
    Andy

12. justhefax

justhefax

I am having a similar experience.

WinXP Pro, just installed Office 97. Trying to print an envelope using Word 97 and XP Windows Address Book (WAB). Word does not know about WAB, only Personal Address Book (PAB), and Microsoft Exchange, and Microsoft Mail, and Personal Folder. None of these formats support WAB.

Outlook 97 won't even load. Program Compatability Wizard no help.

XL Guru posted:
    In OE, File -- Export -- Address Book. Highlight "Text File (CSV)", click Export. Save as eg: "addresses.csv". Click Next, the next bit "select the fields ..." is self-explanatory. Click Finish, then close the window.

Open the file in Excel (you'll need "All Files" for Files of Type), then Save As (Save as Type = "Excel Worbook").

Then you can use the XL version as your data source in Word merge. NB - under step 2 (Get Data -- Open Data Source), you'll need to change Files of Type to "Excel Worksheets", then OK the "Entire Spreadsheet" prompt.

XL Guru, this is cool. As you say, this can be used as data source for Word merge. Will Mail Merge print one envelope at a time?

TIA, Dan

13. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Do a google for "meister merge", Dan. You'll find Cindy Meister's site, where she's got a macro that'll break a merge doc into individual files. In case that's what you were looking for.

14. XL Guru

XL Guru

>> Will Mail Merge print one envelope at a time?

It will for me. I know a little more about Word these days, all my names & adds are in a table doc ; I prefer this to using 2 different apps. I use this doc as the merge source for various other docs. One is a doc with Envelope DL as the paper size. I just open it & scroll through the records to print off the one(s) I want. If I have more than a few to do, I'll merge the envelope doc to a new doc with a query option for LastName Equal to Smith, Jones, etc.

Rgds,
    Andy

15. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Of course that's what he meant.
    I thought he mean something really stupid like that his printer will only allow him to feed one envelope at a time.
    Where was my head??
    Probably playing Gold Miner.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/163807

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice