Address book, Messages in Outlook Express

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Robert1

I had to reload Win98se. As a result my messages and address book were saved into separate files (btw I am using OE5). I know where the messages are now saved, but I can't import them. They seem to be saved in .dbx format which the program seems not to recognize/understand.
I'm having similar problems when I try to import my address book - in this case, I'm not sure where the backup of the address book is - if I knew this, then I might be able to define my problem better - I've had no success importing a number of files that I thought might be the missing one.

Well, lets start with the address book first. Do a file search, Start, Find, Files or Folders and enter "*.wab" without the quotes in the "Named" field and make sure the "Look In" is set to your "My Computer". You should find your old address book there. Then, in OE, Select, File, Import, Address Book and navigate to the directory where that address book is located that you found and then just follow the instructions. Now, in terms of your old messages, you should be able to just name your current inbox, deleted, sent, etc to an "old" extension, then copy the ones where you know your messages are stored (i.e., that dbx file) to the current directory where outlook is storing your messages (i.e., where you just renamed the files to an "old" extension).

Good luck.

[This message has been edited by Mulder (edited 01-06-2001).]

Robert1

Thank you Mulder: I attempted the procedures you suggested. Unfortunately, when I tried transferring what I strongly suspect to be the old address book, I got a message: "An error occurred during the import process. The import process could not be completed." I wonder if the program is "seeing" the new address book and refusing to copy over it? Likewise, I couldn't get the procedure to transfer the messages to work - the program did not allow the option of renaming the Inbox, Sent, etc. folders (the rename function was grayed out in the menu that came up when I right clicked my mouse on it). I did try dragging and dropping one of the errant files with the mouse: this triggered the program to produce the "Reply" screen - so I sent one of the files to myself. I received the file as an attachment, but I could not open it. Where to from here - am I skunked?

[This message has been edited by Robert1 (edited 01-06-2001).]

Well, you can't be in OE when your trying to rename those files. I don't understand why you wouldn't be able to rename them otherwise, unless somehow they were changed to "read only". Right click on the file and click properties and make sure it is not marked "read only". If your "rename" option is still greyed out, try higlighting the file and hit "F2", which will allow you to edit it. As far as the address book goes, you could try the same thing with that. In other words, export your current entries, to a temporary address book, then rename the present to "old", then take the other one with and rename that to you current address book, then import the entries from the temporary address book you created. Again, make sure those files aren't marked "read only".

Robert1

Thank you very much Mulder: this time I was successful in getting my messages back - and as you suggest you can't be in OE when you are doing the procedure! I was less successful with the addresses - kept getting an error message when I tried to import them. However, the messages were the critical issue anyway. Thank you very much for providing this resource and for your time - I have sent a donation to help with the cause.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online