1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

address entered in IE6, opens a Firefox window?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by virtualgeorg, Jul 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. virtualgeorg

virtualgeorg Thread Starter

I have IE6 on XP and when I enter an address into the adress bar and hit enter, nothing happens to the ie browser window but the address entered then opens in a new firefox window?

Or if I do get a page to load in ie6, if I click a link on that page, it then opens that link in a new firefox window.

I also have ie7 installed to a temp location so I could test it before doing a full install but it has been working for a while without a problem until recently. IE7 still works fine.

I did the scan with the winxp cd to check my system files.

It is also kind of random and doesn't happen all the time or if I close and restart ie6 it will usually work fine again for a while.

Any ideas on how to fix or what caused it?

thanks
    -George

2. Dan O

Dan O

3. virtualgeorg

thats what I meant to say is that I have the stand alone version of IE7 so that I could run both for testing websites.

4. Dan O

Dan O

Try resetting the IE6 settings.

Open IE6, select Tools, Internet Options, and Advanced tab, and click the Reset button.

If that does not work try a repair of IE6, which you can do using Add/Remove within the Control Panel.

5. virtualgeorg

Not sure what caused it but an update must of fixed it. The problem existed for about 2 or 3 days. I just used IE 7 for the next few days after this started but now IE6 is working fine but I didn't re-install or reset the settings yet.

I was just curious as to what may have caused this since I had never seen this or read about it in the forums.

Thanks for the info.

6. Dan O

Dan O

I don't know.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/602692

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice