1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Adjusting BIOS for increased video memory?

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by BigDaveinNJ, Dec 25, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigDaveinNJ

BigDaveinNJ Thread Starter

On one of my PCs I have 64MB of RAM.... and 4MB of that is used for the graphics card as it is SHARED.

Someone told me that I can adjust the BIOS to allow more than just 4MB of RAM for the graphics card and that just having 4MB of graphics RAM on a shared system is very insufficient for even the simplest of programs.

Any ideas on how difficult it would be to adjust this BIOS... is it even worth it or any comments in general about this?

Thanks in advance

DAVID

Happy holidays!!! :)

2. thib4

thib4

to get in cmos depends on the computer

upon boot tap on the del key or the f1 key or the f2key or the f10key

i really doubt that the motherboard will let you use more than 4 mg video

3. Don Weber

Don Weber

David,
    Just some thoughts I think are facts...
    Usually during the boot up process a note appears on the screen that says push the Delete key (or some other key) to enter the BIOS Setup Program.
    Once you figure it out, it's easy to look around in the Setup Program to see how much RAM the system can share with the video system. It varies.
    A note of caution: Don't change any settings that you don't understand or the computer might start acting up. But changing shared memory settings should be safe.

Shared video memory is not a wonderful thing, it is a way to manufacture a slightly cheaper computer for those of us that don't require a lot of video power. For someone who needs lots of video power (like a gamer, or someone that watches movies on his computer), a video card with a lot of its own onboard memory is much better than shared memory. For instance, while a video card is using shared RAM, that RAM can't be used by the processor for normal computing operations, thereby possibly causing an overall system slow down. Also, video RAM (like what comes on a video card) is often faster than regular system RAM.

I had a computer with shared video memory a while back. The video card was built right into the motherboard and I believe it had 8 MB of memory of its own and could share another 8 MB of system RAM. I may not be remembering the figures exactly right but here's my point... If I used all the shared memory or none of it, I couldn't tell the difference. I guess surfing the net and reading email just doesn't require much video memory.
    So, if you're not having any video trouble, more video memory probably won't help.

If you know the manufacturer of your computer or motherboard, you can probably go to their web site and find out how much video memory you have and how much shared memory it can use. Or post the make and model and someone might know off hand.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62852

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice