1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Adjusting brightness triggers black screen!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RGM99, Oct 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RGM99

RGM99 Thread Starter

Hi everyone, I have a pretty weird tech problem.

What happens is, whenever I adjust my monitor's brightness (from its physical buttons) the screen turns black. However the monitor is still on, the LED is still green and the computer is still responsive, the screen just turns black.

I can use the computer just fine, as long as I don't try to adjust anything. If I do want to change something, I have to change the values a little, then restart, change them again, restart until I have the values I want. This problem appeared when I tried to adjust the brightness by keeping the + button pressed down, so it increased quickly.

Is this indicative of a dying monitor ? It is pretty old, it's an LG L1750SQ, 17 inch LCD, it's over 4 years old. Also, I do not believe the video card to the problem, since it stays pretty cool, it has a good heatsink on it.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+, x86 Family 15 Model 47 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 1
    RAM: 3071 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT , 512 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 30521 MB, Free - 4273 MB; D: Total - 61043 MB, Free - 37894 MB; F: Total - 61051 MB, Free - 27826 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., A8R-MVP, Rev 1.xx, MB-1234567890
    Antivirus: COMODO Antivirus, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

EDIT: Now it's happening even without adjusting anything. I'll boot up and it will black out some time after windows starts, but not at every boot.

I used to have a similar problem before, the monitor went into power saving mode because of (I thought at the time) my overheating Ati X1600 XT video card that didn't have a fan, seemingly randomly, then I'd reboot and all would be well until the next boot. But now I have a relatively new card, only a few months old that has a good heatsink on it, as well as a 550W PSU and a computer case with two 12cm fans, one at the front, one at the rear. The case is metallic on the larger sides.

Could this be caused by my A8R-MVP motherboard not allocating power correctly all the time ?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!