1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Adjusting CPU Bus and AGP PCI Clock speeds...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by foofyter, Apr 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. foofyter

foofyter Thread Starter

Hey, just tweaking with my BIOS settings here. I was wondering if there was a way to tell what kind of clock speeds my motherboard can handle. All I remember is that I have a MSI. What I'm trying to figure out is if I can max out my CPU Bus Clock and AGP PCI Clock speeds any. Right now my CPU is set at 200 MHZ and the AGP PCI is set at 66.33/33.33. Thanks for any replies.

2. winbob

winbob

FooFyter,

Is this a handheld PC, or wrist model? :D

3. foofyter

foofyter Thread Starter

hah, this is a desktop PC, thank you!

4. qldit

qldit

G'day foofyter, playing with actual clock speeds in reality is a bit like playing Russian Roulette, you may suddenly find you have killed your machine and have to go through a bios reset to get it to recover, it could possibly even damage some component.
    It is much safer to go through the specifications in the documentation available from the board manufacturer. In some cases overclocking may require excessive voltage setting to be made to retain stability which if for any reason is suddenly returned to standard may have adverse implications.
    For best permanent reliable operation it is best to retain reccomended design parameters and settings for the gear you have.
    Cheers, qldit.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Some processors can have their multipliers adjusted, however most are multiplier locked. You can adjust the fsb [front side bus] On some boards you will be upping the agp / pci bus as well. Other boards with the nforce chipset have pci lock so the pci / agp bus remains at 66/33 regardless of the fsb setting. The newer via chipsets also have this ability.

If you are doing this for an experiment or to gain knowledge, fine. If you are doing this to a system that is needed for work, etc; I would NOT OC such a system. In addition do not overclock anything that you cannot afford to loose. OC can [and sometimes in rare instances] does fry components.

To achieve the most reliable OC, go into the bios and raise the fsb by a few MHz ie from 200 to 207. Save settings and reboot. Run an app that stresses the system like prime95. Make sure it can run prime95 for an hour or so without errors. Now you can raise the fsb by a few more MHz and repeat the procedure. When you do start to get errors, you can back-off to a known stable OC or try raising cpu core voltage and memory voltage slightly.

Again do not do this with parts you cannot afford to loose.

6. beanmaster1

beanmaster1

Hi there footy!

I wouldn't recommend messing about with the BIOS at all. Like crjdriver said, if this is for knowledge and you can afford to lose the system then fine, but otherwise messing with the BIOS is asking for trouble, cause BIOS problems are really hard to fix. Consider these two, and if you feel the pros outweight the cons, then go ahead, and best of luck!

Cheers!

7. foofyter

foofyter Thread Starter

Cool, thanks all. I do value my system very much since I am still paying it off and I use it mainly for gaming. I can't find my documentation that came with my motherboard so I think I'm just gonna keep things the way they are. By the way, as in another post, I changed my Performance Mode in BIOS from slow to fast and have noticed a significant jump in a benchmark test with just as much stability when I was running in slow mode. That option is under the Frequency/ Voltage Control section in my Amibios Setup Utility version 3.31a. Thanks!

8. qldit

qldit

G'day foofyter, wise move, when you are playing with several million transistors it does not take all that much to screw one up!
    You should be able to get a manual for your motherboard in PDF format, it would be worthwhile chasing. When all else fails trying to locate one, try searching with the BIOS boot number string usually shown at the bottom of the screen during boot.
    Cheers, qldit.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/351659

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice