1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Adjusting Volume by Dial on Toshiba Laptop Crashes Windows Explorer

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by wncoutdoors, Sep 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wncoutdoors

wncoutdoors Thread Starter

Very similar if not identical to this thread: whenever I adjust the volume on this Toshiba Satellite A135 laptop using the analog dial on the front of the machine, Windows Explorer crashes. Also, the Speaker Properties window in the Control Panel will crash if I click the Levels tab. This only started happening since the upgrade to Service Pack 1 of Vista. (This machine runs Vista Home Basic, and just fine before the upgrade).

Probably a driver issue, I know, but Toshiba doesn't seem to have released any audio driver updates. Driver version installed is Realtek High Definition Audio 6.0.1.5322, from 11/8/2006.

Anyone else have this problem, or hopefully maybe even a fix?

2. Sogreen

Sogreen

My audio was also affected (no sound) after Service Pack 1 install although I am using HP Pavillion dv9000 laptop.

3. drumfiend

drumfiend

same here. very frustrating...

4. kamojamo

kamojamo

I have the same problem. It's funny because they use digital volume knobs rather than the old analogue ones. This wouldn't be a problem if they had have just kept the volume simple. (Because it also means if you had the volume on max, then turned the computer off, you can't turn it back on again without a blaring start-up sound, which can be inconvenient if you want to turn it on in the middle of the night).

I have noticed that this problem can be temporarily resolved, at least for me, by a reboot. It never happens straight after booting up.

Dunno what to do about it, very annoying (especially as I'm a musician and need to adjust volume regularly).

5. iwannabesedated

iwannabesedated

Hi all,

I had the exact same problem described above and I downloaded and installed a new audio driver, v6.0.1.5559r2, from the Toshiba site and have been running crash free for about a week.

hope this helps!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/751768

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice