1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

.adm templates Gpolicy deployment .exe files

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by confuseis, Nov 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. confuseis

confuseis Thread Starter

Hi all

Im looking to deploy some programs via group policy and deploying msi files so far is no problem, Ive also managed to repackage some exe files with mixed success.

.The exe's I cant repakage i still have to deploy so I need other options. At the moment Im struggling to get MS security essentials deployed in a test enviornment and onw suggestion is an .adm (administrative template) file which I have downloaded but Ive looked onlone and I cant seem to find the steps needed to use this file. Its all explained poorl;y and is still vague and obscure to me.

Does anyone know the laymans steps to using an .adm template/ anyone have suggestions on deploying stubborn .exe files via group policy?

Thanks for reading.

2. Rockn

Rockn

I believe that security essentials is an msi file, but since this is meant for standalone/personal deployments I am not sure it will work in a network environment and it was never meant to be installed that way. You do not need any special adm files to deploy software because it is already there.

3. confuseis

confuseis Thread Starter

I can only find an .exe file for ms security essentials. I dont see any .msi file. I know it was not meant to be deployed that way however that is the dilema as avast are looking for cash now as we are a medium business with no budget I am tasked with the deployment.

4. Rockn

Rockn

5. confuseis

confuseis Thread Starter

Ill have a look at the zap file method, fingers crossed ots not to complex. Yeah we are a charity so we may get a good deal with ms after 10 machines so I wanted to test the deployment 1st to see if it was any hassle.

Thanks mate.

6. Rockn

Rockn

If you are a charity and a 501c3 you can get Symantec for next to nothing on TechSoup.org

$106 for Security Essentials and 4-5 dollars per endpoint.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1025963

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice