1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

admin/gpo problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by valis, Jan 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. valis

valis Moderator Thread Starter

first off, I am NOT the network guy here, so bear with me. We got users that use proprietary apps that require them to have admin rights to their pc's. AFter a few instances of them turning off firewalls, av's, whatever, and me fixing it, I got sick of it and dropped them to PU. That got me in hot water as they coudln't use their apps.

Anyone have any ideas if there is a gpo that either:

a. could be written to include certain apps at admin level and exclude others
    b. Any other way around this situation?

tia, but I suspect I will be fielding questions for a bit.

v

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I think there are 3rd party applications to run specific programs as admin, but not let the user be an admin. I'll see if I can find the one I'm thinking of.

3. JohnWill

4. valis

johnwill, you are a freakin' genius. Again. Tomorrow I"ll bounce this off my networking team and see what happens.

It's a PITA, and in a royal fashion. We've got 550+ users, probably double that in PC's, and WAY too many of them have admin rights due to the need to run X software. When I find game stuff installed on MY network, I know that things need to change, as bottom line, it is MY network.

Thanks, John. It is much appreciated.

5. valis

why am I not surprised to see Russinovich's name in there? I swear, I got more stuff by him and his crew on all my machines; they're practical, small, extremely efficient, and they work.

Forwarded it to the powers that be.

6. valis

one minor problem:

they do list 2 alternatives that I am looking into, BeyondTrust and AppSense, but haven't heard anything about them. Any other lightbulbs going off in that noggin of yours?

I'm going to check out those two apps and post back.

7. JohnWill

Bummer! :( Hopefully one of the other two may be a solution. :)

8. valis

yeah, we're evaluating the beyondtrust software, and I think it will do what we want....we're working it on a test box now, will keep you posted......if it works, I'll mark it solved......

9. JohnWill

There are so many instances of requiring admin rights to run certain applications, I'm surprised this isn't a more common request.

10. valis

I think that most people just learn to live with it. I'm just rather anal retentive about security policies (having been burned in the past) and have had to fix WAY too many problems that excessive priviliges have caused.

Minimum Necessary Rights. Hopefully, that's attainable and not some pipe dream.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537509

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice