1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Admin Local Account

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by joswoody, Jan 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. joswoody

joswoody Thread Starter

Hi,

I am concerned regarding my Admin Local Account of the laptops of my company. I would like to disable it via GPO's. I have a question:

If the laptop is plugged off the network is it possible for anyone to enter in the local admin account (if they know the password), Could it be enabled without changing anything from the GPO, if it is not on the network?

2. peonowns

peonowns

Are these laptops part of a domain?.
    As the default Remote Installation Services (RIS) installation disables the local Administrator account on the destination computer(windows server),unless you specified a user account as an administrator.

If you are talking about the built in admin account that you could access on windows xp by pressing ctrl alt delete that is diabled by default on newer versions of windows.

I know of a way to access the local account if it is disabled but i wont tpye here how to do it.

3. peonowns

peonowns

i wont say how but they would need to change something in the gpo locally and the would not need the password in question.

4. joswoody

joswoody Thread Starter

so you are saying that when a laptop is joined to a domain the account gets disabled automatically?

Yes I am saying about the builtin account. I just need that if something happens and I cannot log in with the domain account, I can log in with the local administrator account (even if I disable it through group policy). Is that possible?

5. peonowns

peonowns

The built in admin account that came with windows xp by pressing CTRL ALT Delete and no password is Disabled by default in vista 7 and 8.

If for some reason you could not access your pc with the normal domain settings you can get onto the laptop Via the default Admin even if it is disabled(you obvously would need to know how but it is possible.)

6. joswoody

joswoody Thread Starter

Ok thanks for your answer.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086360

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice