admin pass

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

syrrio

is there anyway to recover your admin password? the person who made my computer didn't tell me what it is or it is some default one, but i don't know what it it is. i know i know stupid on my part ;) anyways i think i contracted a virus due to a guessable password so would appreciate any help

We can't verify your situation and therefore can't provide a whole lot of help cracking a password.
Also we don't know what OS your talking about.

syrrio

os is is windows 2k
i understand, i was just wondering if there were any steps you could do through windows, didnt mean hacks :)

Well, thats what obtaining a password that is not yours is, hacking. You could format the hard drive-this should be done on all used PCs anyway.

syrrio

huh? this has always been my pc, i got it new. i just meant i got it custom made by someone i know, however he set it up in my house and he must have set a password.
guess ill try to format, probably time for that anyways

W32.Randex.D is a network-aware worm that will copy itself to the following paths on computers with weak administrator passwords:

\Admin$\system32\msmsgri32.exe
\c$\winnt\system32\msmsgri32.exe

Check the system and system32 folders to see if you have a file 'msmsgri32.exe' on your computer. It is a virus that latches onto computers with weak 'Administrator' passwords. So first if you don't know your 'Administrator' password, try these commonly used ones that the trojan msmsgri32.exe tries:

When W32.Randex.D is executed, it does the following:

Attempts to authenticate itself to randomly generated IP addresses using one of the following passwords:
<blank>
admin
root
[email protected]#$
asdf
asdfgh
[email protected]#$%
[email protected]#$%^
[email protected]#$%^&
[email protected]#$%^&*
server

---------------------------------------------

There are ways of cracking Windows2k and WindowsNT passwords. It involves obtaining the _SAM file from the "Repair" folder and then actually cracking the file with certain programs, but that would cause you alot of grief, so I would suggest just asking your friend if he remembers the password.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online