1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Admin Password Problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by roy66, Sep 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. roy66

roy66 Thread Starter

I am running XP Home.

Recently in an attempt to overcome a serious malfunction I opted to do a "repair"of XP.

To carry out this function I was required to submit an Administartor Password...this is a personal home computer and I don't have any Admin Passwords.

As I was unable to provide a password I could not execute the "repair"program.

Fortunately for me I did eventually overcome the problem I had but this raises a serious question re this Admin Password problem.

Has anyone had a similar problem or knows the ANSWER to it.

Is this Just a shortcoming foul up without a solution??????

I believe it is possible to get a Password reset program..but if there is no password then what is there to reset???

roy66

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

The default password in Windows XP home is blank, (no password, just hit enter)
    Catches many out, as they have never set a password yet are asked for one when attempting a repair.

3. roy66

roy66 Thread Starter

Thanks kiwiguy...I tried that but it wouldn't let me through.

Incorrect password, 3 strikes your out it says return to base.

HOWEVER......it could just be that in my attempts when I did just hit enter it was after I had tried some other passwords so it became part of the 3 strikes your out....nnnaaahhhh that couldn't be right "cause if I just hit ENTER whether strike 1;2 or 3 it shoulda let me in.

whadaya say.

roy66
    ps
    Maybe I'll just set it up for a mock repair and see if what you say checks out......it oughta eh!

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

5. kvijayk

kvijayk

Does anyone know how to disable the Login screen while booting the machine in XP. I couldn't find it in XP I used it in Win 2000.
    I mean the system should just start without even asking for userId and pwd.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I use X-Setup to set the options, but I believe TweakUI for XP also will do it.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168485

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice