admin password

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

oldbaldi

i purchased a computer at an auction from a bankrupt trade school. it has an admin account on it and i do not have the password. is there anyway to get the password or install a new one. it is an HP with Windows XP running. it has a guest account that i can use but that acount will not let me get any upgrades from msn or add or delete any programs. i do not have a restore disk and hp says there is none available.

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
You bought the computer not the license to the Operating system. They were most likely using a volume license so they could not give you that or the disks to reinstall. You really need to purchase a copy of Windows to be legal.

Or you could use ERD commander to change the admin password.
Or a hand full of other repair disks.

Like Squashman said you did not purchase the license... they really should have wiped that image form the computer before you bought it.

Does it have a Windows XP sticker with a product key somewhere on the case? If so, then it has an OEM license and you would be entitled to the license with the system. Otherwise, as the others have said, the license that you are running isn't a legal one.

EDIT:
One way to change the local admin password: http://www.techbytes.ca/techbyte84.html

Seeing that its an HP its probably OEM and not volume license... My suggestion is go to the HP website and see if you can get a copy of the restore disks purchased/shipped to you. Thats probably your best bet.

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
All of the PC's we get from HP seem to ship with the OEM sticker on them but our school district has a volume license. I am not sure why that is.

Well your actually paying for the OEM on purchase of the PC but your installing volume license on the PC. That is what we do here as well we have OEM stickers but we wipe that and install our volume license. This doesn't make using the OEM wrong just means we actually are paying twice for licenses (unsure as to why this needs to be done :eek: ).

oldbaldi

it has the sticker on it with the windows code numbers on it. it also has the hp serial number and model on it.
thank you

Kendall_Prie

Banned
try logging into safe mode and click administration there
delete the account that is there and make a new one
Kendall Priebe
Technician

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online