Admin Permission/Search

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

westerboy

I have two problems:

1. When I'm doing things on my computer it tells me I have to be an admin/need permission to delete, etc. Now this is my home computer, so it's vexing to say the least.

2. Sometimes search doesn't work on my stand alone HD (WD My Book 1140). I searched something I knew was there, and it showed no results. No idea why that's happening.

Just because it is a home computer doesn't mean you can do without the safety of user & admin privilege separation. You have been kept safe from many attacks/malware without you realizing it.

You can explore Control Panel > Indexing Options to see you can add your External USB hard drive to be indexed.

westerboy

Thanks for the input lunarlander. Admin, so be it, better to be safe. The drive was already in the indexing list though the search is till not working.

Are you searching for a file's contents? If so, go to Control Panel > Indexing Options > Advanced button > File Types tab and checkmark Index Properties and File Contents.

westerboy

Actually it was the file name, but I checked this and will see if it works. Thank you.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online