1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

admin priviledges in Vista

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by at_random, Feb 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. at_random

at_random Thread Starter

I can't download anything to Program Files because it says I need admin access. How do I enable it? It's not a regular option like it was in XP. Or is there a way to give my account admin rights? This is really annoying, the only place it says I can download to is my personal folder. (I'm using Vista Business Ed., but will be upgrading to Ultimate soon)

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

It's not wise to download to Program Files. Why would you want to do that?

3. at_random

at_random Thread Starter

Because that's where I keep PROGRAMS...it was never an issue in XP or previous OS's, that's what the folder is for if I'm not mistaken. It's not like I'm downloading to a system folder or something...

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Why would you download into Program Files? Create a folder like My Downloads in the root of C: or in My Documents and download into that.

5. at_random

at_random Thread Starter

Well it doesn't matter now, I figured out a solution to the problem in the registry. I don't see what the big deal is with downloading to Program Files, I've never had a problem with anyone messing around with my PC. Always have current anti-virus and anti-spyware programs with current definitions installed every day and my PCs have been flawless for years. Vista is going overkill in my opinion with its security, and hackers will always circumvent it anyway, so I don't see the point.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The "big deal" is there's no point, but whatever floats your boat.

7. at_random

at_random Thread Starter

So then why shouldn't I download to Program Files? Is it really that serious of a security problem?

8. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    The best place to put all this stuff and all your other Data is in a folder in another Partition.
    Then you don't have to defrag all the extras and search it for Malware ... every time.
    You can also restore your system .. and not loose all your Data.

When you look in your program files ... How do you know what is Data and needed to backup ??

9. at_random

at_random Thread Starter

I dunno, I never run into these problems. If I do download malware by accident it's always caught by my anti-virus or anti-spyware progs. And I have virus scans scheduled for every day...so my pc works fine. And I still don't see why the UAC is such a big deal, I survived for years without it. And again, hackers will always find ways to circumvent it.

10. jmwills

jmwills

Agreed, the Program Files folder is for installed programs only. One suggestion was to create a folder called My Downloads and within that you can create sub folder for Programs, Add-Ins, Updates, etc.
    It's a matter of good housekeeping and is the preferred method by any good IT professional.

11. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    There are two types of Computer users...
    1) those who have had a problem.
    2) those who will have a problem.

12. jmwills

jmwills

and also those PEBKAC errors we deal with.

13. Elvandil

Elvandil

Program Files is a system folder used for installed programs, and not for personal downloading and so on. That will only lead to problems and confusion and, yes, a serious security risk. No idea why anyone would do such a thing. If the download contains an installer, you then need to install it, anyway, which puts its components into the Program Files folder (and elsewhere).

14. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

Rant: It is so frustrating when someone asks a question and everyone just jumps on him with 'why, why, why' and 'that's a dumb idea' just because no one knows the answer.

15. Elvandil

Elvandil

I'm quite sure that all the posters, save one or two, knew "the answer".

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540896

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice