1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Admin rights not working for Admin account

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Woffiedog_1, Jul 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Woffiedog_1

Woffiedog_1 Thread Starter

Greetings,

I am trying to change the folder properties of a applications folder from read only. I am doing this per instructions from the apps provider to prevent crashes.

When I go to change the permissions it states I need admin privileges. The only account I have on the box is the admin however I did change the name to something besides admin. The account is definitely an admin account.

Any thoughts?

Windows 7 64 bit

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    Provide the full path of this folder, so we can see if it is in a "Protected" area or not?

3. Woffiedog_1

Thanks for your reply.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Polar

When I open the properties dialog for the box the read only box is filled with blue highlight. Does that mean it is checked?

4. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    Being a system folder, then I do NOT think you will be able to make it "Read" only.

Can you post a screenshot of the "Blue highlight", as most of the time these are "Compressed" folders?

5. Woffiedog_1

Here it is.

Thanks!
    Marc

Attached Files:

6. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    Can you post a link to this "Polar Precision Performance" instructions as to how the change is to be done?

They (Polar Precision Performance) have set the Read only protection for some reason.

7. Woffiedog_1

Hi Dave,

Not an official recommendation from Polar but suggestion on the polar sw user site :)

Read Below:

Win 7 compatibility fix
    If you set the folder properties (right click > properties) of C:\Program Files\Polar\
    to NOT read-only, PPP SW works fine with Windows 7.

The software crashes because it is trying to write to files in C:\Program Files\Polar\ directory which windows UAC doesn't allow because PPP SW was not designed with elevated privileges.

Hope this helps...

8. Woffiedog_1

Thanks for your help. Reading more into the user group it seems that polar is not supporting the sw on w7 at all and there is buggy behavior. Other users recommend running under xp virtual machine on w7

Cheers,
    Marc

9. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    Yes, many a older program will not work well on Windows 7 and the OEM must redo their program before they will work correctly.

At least you have a work around.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1010067

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice