1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Admin User Account Locking up

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by LJ75, Feb 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LJ75

LJ75 Thread Starter

PC has WinXP Pro there are 4 accounts 3 admin("Administrator", "qq" and "My Computer" and 1 guest. Have ran Malwarebytes and removed over 60 items, have scanned with new AVAST no virus found ran both in safe mode under "Administrator" account. Adminsitrator account is running fine, loading fine no issues. "My Computer" account is only showing desktop background photo, no desktop icons are showing, is extremly slow and keeps locking up and comes up with errors cant find "null" and missing "dll" errors. I have now removed HDD and have hooked it up to a second PC and am currently running new scans on it. Any ideas would be great

2. supapat

supapat

Hi LJ75,

When you log in with the My Computer account and it just hangs with your background, press ctrl,alt,delete (at the same time) and see if you can get into task manager. If you can, click on file, new task, type: "explorer.exe" - then press OK. This should load up the remainder of your desktop.

If you're sure you are no longer infected (which I think you probably are), then reboot after this and see if the My Computer account works without you needing to start explorer manually.

I think this may need to go into the MalwareRemoval threads.

Also, can you do us a screenshot of your msconfig? Go to start, run, type: "msconfig", click OK, go to Startup tab, and do us screenshots of the Startup Items in there? Might give us an idea of what is loading up at startup. With a bit of luck, it's just the leftovers of the malware you did have trying to start up and realising that it's source files, the dll's you're getting errors about, are missing.

3. LJ75

LJ75 Thread Starter

Thanks for that, Will have a try, Malwarebytes found 4 more items, still waiting for the other virus scan to finish, has removed one viruse so far. Will give what you recommend a try once it finishes and then will see if I can get into the MSConfig, I have already changed some of these and disabled but had to do it in Safe Mode as it was locking up in normally. Will post once I get that info. Cheers for your help

4. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

You may have to ask for the help of the folks at the 'security' forum. If trouble continues after the help you are already receiving, click "Report" and request that your thread be transfered to the "Security and HJT" Forum.

{redoak}

5. LJ75

LJ75 Thread Starter

Well no luck getting into Task Manager it is blocked out. I have taken screen shots of the start up in MSconfig and pasted to Word but it says it's to big to add the file. What is the best way to add screen shots????

6. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

Click "Reply." Then click the large lettered "Reply" inside a blue field to the upper left. Do not type in the "Quick Reply" composing area.

You now will be able to include a title, and then a message. Then scroll down until you see "Manage Attachments." That is where you will browse for your screen shots individually and upload them one by one. It usually takes a while for TSG to show a confirming line of the title, etc. of an attachment. Just be patient.

To the upper right in fine print you will click and close the "Manage Attachments" mode. Then you go down the page to 'post.'

I believe I have remembered the steps correctly. I do this several times a week by habit!

7. LJ75

LJ75 Thread Starter

I have done that but even with the one screen shot even cropped to only show the items it is still saying it is over the 200kb size limit

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/903867

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice