1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

admin user password

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mataranka, Nov 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mataranka

mataranka Thread Starter

hi,

just bought a pc off ebay, who it turned out had bought it at an auction. it has windows xp already loaded however when i come to log on it gave me 2 options, administrator, or gary(obviously some old user), i can log on under gary, however if i want to install games, which basically to play games online is the only reason why i bought the bloody thing, it says i don't have neccesary access and have to log on as the administrator, which is password protected. how can i get around this? in all honesty i don't care or know whether i need a licence to run xp. its the first computer i have ever bought and feel a little let down. i've heard it may be possible to re-install the hard drive but if i'm honest i have no idea how to do this as well.
    the computer has not been formatted and previous emails and files are still on the computer, i feel i may have wasted quite a bit of money.
    any ideas/help?

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

There is a boot disk you can download at:
    http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html

that will let you reset the password of any account on NT4, Windows2000 or XP.

Just follow all the default settings which are for the admin account. Used it many
    times with great success.

They also have a bootable CD image you can download.

3. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Maybe you could just email the auctioneer and ask them if they know the Admin password.

4. mataranka

mataranka Thread Starter

thankyou, however you may need to be a bit more precise. so i log on to this website and then download a piece of software on to what? the computer, a floppy disk which i haven't got yet, or a re-writeable cd?
    sorry but like i said first computer and my techical expertise is non existant. sorry.

5. mataranka

mataranka Thread Starter

i asked him for the people who he got it off and he said he didn't know. not a very helpful chap. i reckon he bought it, realisedthis problem and then flogged it so some other sucker, me.

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

I'm only pointing to a site that offers a solution. You should check with them for any details.

You basically can either make a bootable floppy or CD ROM, boot with that, and take all the defaults which will allow you to change the administrator's password.

7. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Read the entire page. Scroll down to almost the bottom. It will show you how to make the bootdisk.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!