1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Administrative Privilege

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by deubanks, Apr 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. deubanks

deubanks Thread Starter

HI,

How do I get administrative privileges for my computer. Sometimes when I try to do something, it tells me that I don't have administrative privileges.

The latest example is when I recently loaded Adobe Photoshop Album 2.0 and registered it. they sent me an unlock code. When I type the code in, it will not let me unlock it. It tells me that I need administrative privileges for this computer. I am the only one using the computer and am not using a password to log in. I am using WinME on a Sony computer.

Thanks for any help that you can give.
    deubanks

2. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Use System Restore to roll your computer back to a date to before when your computer worked right. Before the error(s) started occurring.

To start System Restore, click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click System Restore. Or, in the Help and Support main screen, click Use System Restore under Fix a problem.

3. deubanks

deubanks Thread Starter

I have had this type of messages since I bought the computer in 2001, but this is the first time that I have needed to put an unlock code is a software product. I don't think the system restore will fix it since it is an ongoing thing. The other times that I remember it telling me that I didn't have administrative privileges was when trying to add to or delete something from a CDR or CDR/W.

Do you have any more suggestions?
    deubanks

4. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Rule virus, Trojan or variant infection out for me Ok?

If you do the following scan and, you notice the scan keeps finding infestation in the _restore folder, you might as well stop the scan; disable System Restore:

Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
    On the Performance tab, click File System, or press ALT+F.
    On the Troubleshooting tab, click to select the Disable System Restore check box.
    Click OK twice, and then click Yes when you are prompted to restart the computer.
    To re-enable System Restore, follow steps 1-3, but in step 3, click to clear the Disable System Restore check box.

Then restart your computer; get on-line and restart the scan.

Go to http://housecall.trendmicro.com or http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/com/activescan_principal.htm and click the Scan Now link to run a free on-line virus scan.

There is no such thing as gaining administrator privleges I know of in WinME and below versions just virus-like behavior.

5. deubanks

deubanks Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.

I got the unlock code to work. I was typing the code in and the unlock was grayed out and the message mentioned above was showing. I got it to work by pushing enter after entering the code. When I hit enter, the grayed out unlock turned black and let me unlock it.

Problem Solved!!!
    Thanks,
    deubanks

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/219817

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice