Administrative Rights

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Josephb175

I need help with a small problem. I do not have administrative rights on the computor at work. When I attempt to either download an update or do other simple tasks, I receive a message informing me I either must have administrative rights or to contact the assigned administrator. I really don't want to contact the IT guy because that department is short staffed. Is there any way I can add my name as an administrator?

If this is a work computer and you have IT staff it's likely the company will have a policy in place regarding who can do what to the computer. They won't want people adding suspect software etc. Updates should certainly be part of the policy and likely to be applied company-wide by the IT dept for safety and consistency.

I don't know what you mean by 'other simple tasks' but they are probably things the company does not want individual users to be able to do :) .

If you really have issues that prevent you working efficiently I'd recommend talking to the IT guys and explaining the problem - if they are happy they'll be able to apply the relevant permissions to your user profile.

Josephb175

I guess my question and ramifications of my action are more complicated than I thought it was. I wanted to accomplish things as update my Adobe Reader or look at MSCONFIG. I guess the IT guy or gal wants total control.

Thanks.

:D Yup...I'm sure they won't want you messing with msconfig and if you could update Acrobat you'd also be able to download other programs. You might know what you're doing but any company that is remotely interested in the security of its IT system won't want all individual users to have these rights.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online