1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Administrator account

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Dan Strassberg, Jan 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dan Strassberg

Dan Strassberg Thread Starter

I am new to XP--in fact, new to the entire NT series--but not new to PCs or Windows. Bought new Toshiba U205-S5044 laptop on 1/5/07. Has XP Media Center Edition on HDD. (I think this is the latest Media Center--the one that also handles tablet PCs. The U205 is NOT a tablet.) I am NOT currently on a network. I have two other PCs but don't currently plan to network them.

Although there is no trace of it at login, there is an account named Administrator on the machine. As far as I can figure out, the Administrator account was configured by Toshiba with a blank password (which I believe is the default). In my personal account <Firstname>_<Lastname>, I have administrator privileges. Still, there are things I'd like to be able to do that I believe require me to log in as Administrator and not as <Firstname>_<Lastname>.

I downloaded a file from a site named Kellys_Korner.com (or something like that) that supposedly tells me how to access the Administrato account, but I can't follow the directions. Things that, according to the file, should appear on the screen don'r appear, and the file uses terms it does not define, such as "Snap-in." It's a noun and I probably wouldn't know a Snap-In if I fell over one.

Can somebody please send me a link to a file that tells me in words I can understand how to log into the Administrator account? Thanks.

2. mattice06082

mattice06082

I believe that this account is available when you boot into safe mode. To do the you need to hit F8 while booting and select Safe Mode from the menu.

3. Dan Strassberg

Dan Strassberg Thread Starter

Thank you! That worked. I know that M$ doesn't want users mucking around in privileged accounts, but I would have thought that a search for "Administrator account" in the XP HELP utility on the PC's HDD would have brought up SOMETHING. But N_O_O_O_O! Support calls cost PC manufacturers $$$. Toshiba is probably losing money on these PCs because of information missing from or not easily found in the HELP files. Toshiba's customers are wasting a lot of time, too. And time is money!

4. Irksome

Irksome

If you want to add the Administrator account to the Welcome Screen for easier access, then open your registry editor by going to Start > Run > regedit.

Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Microsoft > Windows NT > CurrentVersion > Winlogon > SpecialAccounts > UserList.

Add a new REG_DWORD key and name it Administrator. Then open this new key and type 1.

Reboot your PC and it should be on there ;)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!