1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Administrator issues

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Tylerjohn, Oct 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tylerjohn

Tylerjohn Thread Starter

While attempting to eliminate the Logon screen on my daugher's XP PC I seem to have eliminated the administrator(Her)all-together. I was in the box you get to by entering user passwordcontrols2 in the run box. All I wanted to do was check off the box regarding needing a name and password at start-up. There was a guest listed and 2 administrators which I thought was odd. I tried to eliminate the extra administrator and nothing but trouble since.

I can't even rework some of these settings as I'm now on as a guest with limited access. Are there any tricks like maybe something in the Bios that would be of help. Unfortunately I don't have any OEM disks for this machine as it was used and a gift. Any ideas would be great.

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

There is usually two accounts with Administrator Access on a computer. The builtin Account named administrator and most people create another acount with Administrator access that they usually login with. In Windows XP Home you can only login as the user named Administrator in safe mode and I don't believe the OS will allow you to delete the builtin Administrator account.

3. hewee

hewee

I got XP Pro and it made the Admin account when I first started the computer. Then I made a Admin account also and a user account. The very first Admin account that was made you will not see unless you boot up into safe mode.
    So try booting up into safe mode. It should still ask you for a password but then your be able to edit accounts once your there.

4. Tylerjohn

Tylerjohn Thread Starter

Thanks. I rebooted in safe mode and it asked me if I wanted to use system restore. I set a date of 2 days ago and restored the system. It corrected my issue but it did wipe out Microsoft Home,office and student 2007 which I just installed. No biggie as I just re-installed it. I also figured out the log-on box issue. The ask for password on resume box was checked off in the screensaver settings.

5. hewee

hewee

Good you got things fixed.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!