1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Administrator Permission????

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by manganime, Sep 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. manganime

manganime Thread Starter

Hi all,

Recently I have been experiencing some problems with Vista in that I only have one account on my laptop which i mine and so I'm also obviously the computer administrator..but quite often I get messages saying that I can't do something like move a folder since I need administrator permission :confused: I don't know why it keeps on saying that, can somebody help me?

Thank You

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Your account is NOT "The Administrator" but a account with limited Admin permissions.

What are you trying to do, when you get this message?
    Tell us, what files and folders that you are trying to move.

3. dlsayremn

dlsayremn

Don't know if I can explain this properly, but will try.
    Even though you have an Administrator account, Vista's security setup treats you as a normal user with no admin rights unless you are Running As Administrator. This is to prevent you from doing something that will mess up the system. The little popup that asks do you wish to continue is just a polite way of saying "This may screw up your system, but in your limited Administrator capacity do you want to do it anyway"

There are system files and folders that even administrators cannot move or change.

CMD.exe will ignore any commands that will change system settings unless you run as administrator.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!