1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Administrator privileges required to access domain

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by CarolinaBill, Oct 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CarolinaBill

CarolinaBill Thread Starter

I am not sure which forum this belongs in: Win XP, Linux, or networks, or ?, but I will start with this.

After some recent changes, we have a problem with access to domain services such as e-mail only by users with administrative privileges. These same services could be accessed by any user or power user in the past. I will try to be brief in describing the network and the equipment. I am an assistant administrator for a sub-network in a retirement community that has other networks for office, personnel, health-care, etc. needs. Our network consists of five Win XP computers networked to a separate server machine running on Linux with a SAMBA interface that provides IMAP e-mail service, full internet access, and full inter-communication between the five resident computers so any one of them can be used interchangeably by users. We have about 150 residents registered but only a fraction of those use the computers regularly. After replacing an older server program that broke down from time to time, with a new one, and replacing our former Win 2000 computers with Win XP, we started having problems with network access. At present, when we register a new userID and password, we logon to the new account and change the My Documents folder from its default C:\Documents & Settings location to a mapped shared server drive (named H: ) through which all users can communicate from any computer, so that it is now H:\My Documents. The computer asks if we wish to transfer all settings to the new location and we say yes. With our old setup we could do this okay setting up the new user with Power User privileges and we could logon freely at any computer. Now, to do this, we have to give the user Administrator privileges which we obviously would prefer not to do. If we attempt to relocate My Documents as a power user, there is a message that this is not allowed.

If the user is first given administrator privileges and the My Documents move is carried out, indeed a new H:\My Documents is created which can be accessed for storing documents, pictures, etc. If the privileges are changed back to Power User, the user can logon to that specific computer using the logon settings stored in the C: drive, but access to the network domain for e-mail folders, etc. that are stored on the server's H: drive is denied. A new e-mail account can be set up but applies only to the single computer and cannot be shared across the network. The H:\My Documents folder can still be accessed and documents retrieved, but the network settings are no longer accessible.

Is there some Win XP permission that will allow us to access these settings. We really don't know whether our problem lies in the server, in the SAMBA interface, or some subtle difference in the way Win XP handles user privileges compared to Win 2000. There is a professional network consultant that is responsible for the entire installation but he has been too busy to look at this, and frankly I am sure he does not know what the problem is.

Can anyone out in the wild blue yonder help?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/645578

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice