1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Administrator Problems migrating files from XP Pc to new Win7 PC

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by craftee, Jan 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. craftee

craftee Thread Starter

Hi Guys,

I'm trying to move some files from my old (soon to be retired) XP Pc to my new Win 7 PC but am having problems :confused:

I've searched the forum, trying different search phrases, but can't find any clues to my problem.

I am the only user on both machines and after checking user accounts on both machines I am described as Administrator. On the Win 7 machine I have UAC set at "Never Notify".:)

I tried to map the C: drive on the Win 7 PC as drive Z: on the XP machine (I can see the Win 7 drive on the win XP Machine ). but it says "access is denied" :confused:

When I do it the other way around I can map the Win XP drive on the Win 7 machine with no problems, but there are some files it won't let me copy over. It says:

"You need permission to perform this action"

"You require permission from the computer's administrator to make changes to this file"

So I hope someone out there can help me move my files across to my new PC.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Paul

2. md2lgyk

md2lgyk

I may be wrong here, but I don't think you can network an XP machine and a Win 7 machine. Until recently, my laptop had XP and my wife's had Win 7, and I couldn't do it. Once I upgraded to Win 7, the two machines networked automatically.

You could copy your data to a thumb drive and then load it onto the new machine. Low-tech, but it works.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I know that move is more efficient than copy and then delete after making sure the copy has worked, but I still recommend copy between machines.

What folders or files are giving you trouble? Is the XP Home or Pro? If the latter are you using Simple File Sharing?

4. craftee

craftee Thread Starter

Hi TerryNet,

When I said Move, I really meant Copy, So I can have the files on both machines until I retire the old one.

The folder that's giving me "most" trouble is a folder I created called eurdoradata, which holds all the data and settings etc for Eudora, which we have used for years and holds thousands of emails (relating to our business) which we do not want to loose.

We are using XP Home with all service packs installed but I'm sorry I don't know if I'm using Simple File sharing or not.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards.

Paul

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    XP Home only has Simple File Sharing.

Can't think of a reason that a folder you created should give a problem. While in XP right click on it and try to share it. I know it is already shared because the whole partition ("drive") is shared.

Wait, that error message may be talking about the destination. Are you trying to copy it directly to the "C" drive on the Windows 7? If so, create a folder there with the desired name. Then copy the contents of the eurdoradata folder to the newly created folder. The reason for this suggestion is that Windows 7 is picky about who/what/how can store to the "C" drive directly.

6. craftee

craftee Thread Starter

Sorry for delay in replying,

Got a more important problem appeared, can't get the PC to start (question asked in another thread).

I am not copying either direct from drive C or directly to Drive C I am going from a folder created on each machine which I called "All Data".

I think I'm going to try the thumb-drive method, it sounds like the easiest answer.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Regards

Regards,

Paul

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1083654

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice