1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Administrator rights

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by rmarty920, Oct 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rmarty920

rmarty920 Thread Starter

Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Basic
    Version 6.0.6001 Service Pack 1 Build 6001
    Processor AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4600+, 2411 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD ASUS M2N32-SLI DELUXE ACPI BIOS Revision 0903, 1/2/2007

When using spybot search and destroy, I am trying to use the function immunize. When it is searching for blocked websites it prompts me and says i need to log into the administrator account to do the immunize. I am the only user on this computer and I am under the Administrator privileges. Is there something I have to do in safemode to let all of the programs I run to realize that I am the administrator and not just the normal user?

I have also been having trouble with moving folders from a 2nd hard drive to my first or vice versa. 99% of the folders move fine, and then there is that 1% that will say I can't do it. I can't even delete the folder sometimes and I have to do a cut/paste do remove it. Any help with this as well?

Any help or ideas would greatly be appreciated.Thanks!:)

2. dlsayremn

dlsayremn

Right click the program you want to run, then click Run as Administrator in the popup menu.
    One of the new security features of Vista. Even though you have an Administrator Account, you are not allowed to run certain programs or access certain files unless you have told the system you are doing it as an Administrator. Even then there are certain system files you can't access.

3. rmarty920

rmarty920 Thread Starter

Ok, the solution you gave me was amazing. Simple but yet solved my problem. I am still having the same problem with the certain folders that don't want to move. Any help here?

4. dlsayremn

dlsayremn

Have the same problem. Welcome to Vista security.

In my user account folder are 9 items that show as a folder icon with a shortcut arrow. Names like Application Data, My Documents, Start Menu. Properties shows that they were all created June 10, 2008 11:10:22 PM, Type; File Folder, Target: no listing. Security shows they are owned by the system, but all Administrator accounts have full permissions. When I left click , I get Access denied. Just figure one of the 21 updates I got June 11 created them.

Had a crash that required a complete reinstall of OS June 10. Got 40 updates that day. Still have no idea as to what caused it.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

It's possible that the trouble folders are being accessed by the time they get moved, or that they have subfolders that cause permissions problems when trying to delete the whole thing. Use Copy instead of Move (safer anyway since only after the copying is finished and you have verified the copy can you be sure that the operation succeeded) and then delete the original later.

If you don't have SP1, install it. The copying routine was one of the major improvements.

(All Vista updates can be installed at one time with an update pack instead of doing each separately.)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!