1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Administrator User Account

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by CyBerAliEn, Mar 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CyBerAliEn

CyBerAliEn Thread Starter

Hey,

I want to run a program or utility that I have for XP. The only problem though is that I have to be logged in as the name "Administrator", not just administrative priviledges. So I went into my Control Panel and looked at the users listed, there was none by the name Administrator. So I proceeded to add a new user with that name, except when I did, I got an error stating something like "User with this name already exists." I wasn't sure why that was, so I went to my Documents & Settings folder and there wasn't any Administrator folder under there. So now I went to my account which I am currently using, and tried changing my name to Administrator to see if that would work, and it didn't, it came up with the same error again. I've been trying to figure this out all night lastnight and all morning today, but haven't been able to resolve it. Except I did find one thing which may be causing it. I went onto my network, and found that on the other computer that's connected to my network (and only other one), that there is an Administrator folder under the Documents & Settings folder. I was wondering if that account could be causing this conflict. And if so, how can I fix so that I can have the "Administrator" account on my computer since I am the administrator of the network??? Any assistance and help would be greatly appreciated :)

2. rawmeat

rawmeat

Do not run this utility. Any utility that requires this is prpbably capturing the account and password and passing them to some nefarious hacker. Useful utilities do not require a specific account, only admin priviledges.

3. CyBerAliEn

Hey,

The utility I need to run is GPEDIT (Group Policy Editor), which came with Windows. So it would be a really f'ed up for Windows and Microsoft to do something like that.

4. Brooks

Brooks Guest

That snap-in should run without being logged into the administrator account, as long as the user that you log in with is a member of the administrators group not the power users group.

5. Nick Scott

Nick Scott

Brooks is right, any user with Administrator privileges can install programs or do anything else as if he/she is logged into an Administrator account. By default the first account created on the PC when XP was installed has Administrator rights.

If it really is insistent that you must be logged on as "The Administrator" you can do this by hitting ctrl + alt + delete at the logon screen (the one with all the user's names and icons). You will then get a Windows 2000 style logon screen and password box. The Administrator account always exists in XP when it is first installed, in addition to any accounts that you create, but by default it is hidden. If you didn't set one the Administrator password may be blank.

6. CyBerAliEn

Hey,

Thanks for the info, I'll try it in a minute. I completely agree with you on your decisions, but for some stupid reason Microsoft had it programmed so that YOU HAVE TO BE logged in as "Administrator" with administrative priviledges, not just any account with administrative priviledges, because of what you can do and change in the Group Policy Editor.

7. Brooks

Brooks Guest

What I was saying is that I use that snap-in on my named account that is a member of the administrators group.

I log in as my name and run it.

I have no idea why you cannot.

8. CyBerAliEn

Hey,

Yeah... I'd say the same thing. But how can I then check to see what group I'm in or change it? From what I know, the only way is to use the Group Policy Editor, and I can't get it to run.

9. Brooks

Brooks Guest

You can right click My Computer and select manage.

Open up the system tools. Then open up the Local Users and Groups.

Click on groups, and then double click on administrators. This will list the user accounts that have administrator access.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/74151

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice