1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Administrator's account in Safe Mode

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Stimps, Jul 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Stimps

Stimps Thread Starter

Hi, When booting up in safe mode I have my account which needs a password and an Administrator's account which doesnt need one. How do I make my Files secure? Can I remove this account or only add a password?

Thanking you in advance for your time

Stimps

2. animeaddict101

animeaddict101

remove which account
    if its the admin you have to make your account an admin account and then just delete the account titled admin

to change account to admin:
    1. go to control panel
    2. go to users
    3. go to your account
    4. go to change account type
    5. change account type from Limited to Administater
    6. apply

then just delete the acount titled Admin

3. Stimps

Stimps Thread Starter

Thank's for that BUT I know that !

That's not what im asking reread the POST!

4. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

You can add a password to the Administrator account if you are logging in from an account that has administrator privileges. Go to Start. Run and type: control userpassswords2. Click the Advanced tab, then the Advanced button. Click the Users folder, right click on Administrator, then Properties. On the General tab make sure 'Password never expires' is checked, then OK. Right click on Administrator again and click Set Password. Ig nore the warning (Proceed).

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Adding passwords to the accounts does not secure your files. Anyone with physical access to the computer or just an administrator level account can open, change, and delete anything they want.

6. Frank4d

The OP states there are only two accounts, so passwording them both will secure them from access by 99.5% of users. Agreed, it won't keep me or you out.

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

It won't keep the other user out either.

8. Frank4d

I think you are reading it wrong. He has one account which is his. And the machine Administrator account (the one that is accessible in Safe Mode) that he wants to lock down. Ant those are the only two accounts on the machine.

9. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Setting passwords on the accounts will not prevent access to the files. If the user is an administrator, they can just take ownership of the files and open them. Otherwise there are utilities available on the Internet that can be used to bypass the Administrator account password allowing the user to access the files as well.

I just want the poster to have accurate information.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/590496

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice