1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Administrator's password

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by thewolfe, Jun 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. thewolfe

thewolfe Thread Starter

Administrator's password

I was just given a Gateway E3600 running XP through a third party so I don't have any prior info except what's on the computer.

Before I go to far customizing it I want to make sure I will have Admin rights down the road if I need them.

Can I find out if there is an Admin password and if so what it is so I can change it?

2. thewolfe

thewolfe Thread Starter

Sorry, running XP SP2

3. jp1203

jp1203

We can't help with deleting or finding out an Admin password, but if you have an account to log into try right-clicking My Computer, clicking manage, then going to users and groups. Right-clicking any user and clicking properties will show what groups it is a member of

4. jp1203

jp1203

Also, just try logging in as Owner or Administrator without a password. It could well be blank, but I can't really go any further than that without probably breaking the rules myself :D

5. thewolfe

thewolfe Thread Starter

I just went in to the Admin user and clicked "password" and it allowed me to add a password w/o typing in a previous one and confirming it.

Did I just answer my own question.

6. jp1203

jp1203

I figure you did

go to Computer management (right click my computer-manage)
    local users and groups
    right click the user you logged in as
    go to properties
    go to member of tab

if Administrators shows up, it's an administrative user

7. dts73

dts73

You could try booting in safe mode and removing the password that way. Or have I got it wrong?

There's always £$"!*& too.

Edited for naughty stuff!!

8. jp1203

jp1203

Except we can't speak of those ways :eek:

9. dts73

dts73

OOps.I didn't think that it would be an issue, sorry.:eek:

I've edited my post. Sorry again guys.

It didn't occur to me that it would be an issue as we use said software at work to remove PW's in order to test them. Apologies.

10. jp1203

jp1203

I made a similar mistake a while ago, mentioning a somewhat well-known app that will actually get the passwords, and I was yelled at for it, so I'm somewhat careful. :) Don't think anyone would complain about the safe mode approach, it was the other one.

11. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

One thing I am wondering about is, since it is typically relatively easy to solve just not allowed to post, are we allowed to send the person an e-mail and help them solve their problem on our own.

12. dts73

dts73

Cheers for the heads up.(y)

13. jp1203

jp1203

I figure then it's out of TSG's hands so they really can't do anything about it. PM might be another thing, though.

14. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Yep, that would be another option as well. Since the rules have only recently changed, perhaps an admin or moderator will be reading this thread and help clarify it for us.

15. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Obviously Bob, we can't stop you from circumventing the rules the rules here. Of course, as a long time member here, I'd have expected to keep your "helpful" suggestions to yourself. :rolleyes:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!