1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Adobe copy and paste

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Cora, Jul 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cora

Cora Thread Starter

Is there any way to copy from Adobe and paste into Excel? In my job I get these long reports, literally 100's of pgs with information I am hand typing into Excel and I am thinking there has got to be an easier way to do this all. Maybe an advanced version of adobe allows copy and paste?

2. Kitch

Kitch

Adobe Reader should let you select & copy text, unless the document is security protected.

Try Edit->Select all, Edit->Copy & pasting into Excel. If the document is copy protected
    you'll probably find Copy is greyed out.

If the document is protected maybe the creator of the report will be able to help?

3. RT

RT

Could be wrong, but in my experience Adobe Acrobat Reader will let you do nothing more than view and print a PDF file. That's it.
    You can't edit at all.
    Drives everyone crazy at work.

It is possible that the full version of Adobe might allow that, I cannot say for sure.
    I can say for sure that it seems to be a rather expensive program, even compared to a MS Office suite.

Would it be possible for you to receive the reports in some sort of MS Office format (Word, Excel, or Access)?

4. RT

RT

Well, I've just found something that might be useful for you.

Seems that Adobe Acrobat Reader, the free version that most everyone has, is just a reader, as I suspected. That's what I presumed you were referring to.

But there are many versions with various capabilities.

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/matrix.html

I think none of the capable programs are free.

5. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Adobe reader will let you select text and paste it.
    Provided it is allowed by the author, and that the document has been created by a PDF application and not as a result of a scan (in which case it's only a "photo" of the document). In those cases no application will extract the numbers.

In Adobe reader, click the "Select" button on the toolbar, then highlight the text or numbers, right click and Copy.

Then paste it into Excel.

I do this every day, using the free version of Adobe Reader.
    So I have to disagree there RT.

6. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

7. RT

RT

Quite alright, thanks for the info kiwiguy. :cool: Reckon that's why I said I could be wrong :)
    Apparently the files that are passed around my work are scans, and can't be manipulated.

8. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Depending on the quality and the originality of the pdf (scans ?)...
    They can be "Read" by OCR software (Optical Character Recognition) and converted to M$ Word or Excel files.

Get a trial verson of this - and try it .... http://www.abbyy.com/pdftransformer/
    or attach a pdf sample, and I'll see what I (it) can do.

9. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Most OCR software will work provided the original is of reasonable resolution.

But you need to consider any implications of OCR'ing a "password protected" document, such as a contract or Government application etc. I deal with these frequently (as the recipient), they are designed to be filled out by hand, signed and faxed/mailed back in most cases.

Recreating them by OCR and filling them in and emailing them back may seem to be a "clever" solution but may also see your application go straight in the rubbish bin.

Any "converted" legal contract or application could (by accident or design) have subtle changes made in the conversion process. The issuer of the document is not going to pay someone to proof every word in the returned document to make sure that no changes have been made, so they may just get trashed instead. Usually if a document is protected, you should consider that it was done for a reason.

With a plethora of photocopiers now outputting PDF files, the number of "scanned" PDF's is high, these are usually quite different in intent, being a product of convenience rather than of necessity of security.

Your link to pdftransformer shows it "supports password protected files", which will mean that the password is required to decomplie / transform it. Just like SolidPDF does.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/484809

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice