1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Adobe Flash Player Problem

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by steganography, Apr 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. steganography

steganography Thread Starter

I downloaded the latest version(9.0.124.0) of Adobe Flash Player for Netscape. Unfortunately, the programmer used the same generic file name and so it replaced a previous file version on my hard drive which allowed me to view Youtube videos with Netscape 7.2; the new version no longer works. I followed the instructions and used the Adobe Flash Player uninstaller first, closed the Netscape files and installed the latest version-it didn't work. I then followed the Technote (Troubleshooting Adobe Flash Player installer for Windows) and also downloaded & ran SubInACL.msi & Flash_Player_9_ActiveX.zip-still doesn't work.I also ran Flashp8.exe, then IE also stopped working with Youtube. I re-downloaded the IE version of Flash Player and Youtube now works with it. I don't use IE or Netscape 8, so I want to get the Flash Player to work with Netscape 7.2.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Any particular reason you wish to use Netscape 7.2? Netscape has been abandoned. You may wish to to switch to Mozilla/Firefox which is what Netscape is based on.

Check your Netscape settings, check the security settings and clear out all the temp files. Your problem may also be due to having two different versions of Netscape installed, that is if you do have Netscape 8 installed, the plugin may only be installing for one of the versions rather then for both. Or maybe Netscape 7.2 needs to be reinstalled.

3. steganography

I've tried many browsers (Opera, Firefox, Netscape 8, IE), butI like the way Netscape 7.2 handles bookmarks. I manually deleted the tmp files, ran disk cleanup, re-installed Netscape 7.2. I deleted Netscape 4.79 which I also had running. I uninstalled Flash Player & re-installed the latest version-no change. I tried to reload Netscape 4.79 and it wouldn't load.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    4.7x is really old and not very secure or capable of handling newer content on the internet.

Did you uninstall Netscape before reinstalling?

5. new tech guy

new tech guy

To add to what Triple6 has said, they also have a skin for firefox to make it look just like netscape if that is what your used too.

6. steganography

I uninstalled Netscape 7.2 before I reinstalled it. However, I did not uninstall the flash player before re-installing Netscape 7.2. Maybe the new version of Flash Player did not allow the older Flash Player to load with 7.2 . I also suspect that if I removed 7.2 and installed 4.79 first and then install 7.2, both would work. I very infrequently use 4.79 for some special surfing. Last year on another PC, I had Netscape 4.79, 7.2, 8.0, Opera, Firefox, and IE running with no problems. I found a Adobe forum site for Flash Player, and other people are having problems with IE, Firefox, and Mozilla browsers and Flash Player version 9.0.124.0. I did a Secunia scan which identifies out of date software on your pc, and it indicated that my Flash Player was up to date. I also went to a Macromedia site & clicked on a video and it claimed that I had Flash Player 7.0.10.0 installed. In my Control Panel add/remove list I have : Macromedia Flash Player 8; Adobe Shockwave Player 11; Adobe Flash Player Plugin(no ID). I use Netscape 7.2 because I have more than 10M of bookmarks, and like the way it handles bookmarks. I suspect that version 9.0.124.0 was programmed by a hack who didn't verify his code worked with older browsers; anyone who uses a generic name for every file update without including the version number as part of the file name, is a poor programmer. The only reason I updated to 9.0.124.0 was because I received a CERT security alert. NOTE: I found 2 videos that work with Netscape 7.2. They call up Macromedia Flash Player 7; Youtube seems to be the only videos that don't work with Netscape 7.2.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/703257

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice