Adobe Flash uninstall tool,& is there a better/safer flash player w/o the hassles?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jrx10

I uninstalled Adobe Flash with their uninstall tool because I read somewhere you needed to update it because of major security flaw. I went over to the Adobe website to try and find an update, as well as a tutorial on how to update, as I had no idea what version I had. Their website is a mess unless you want to purchase something, and then you can find whatever your want. Since I had no idea what version of player, I just DL their uninstall tool, then DLed their new flash. I used their uninstall tool, and then reinstalled the new Adobe Flash Player. The only PU that came up was that it couldn't install in Opera. I went looking to try and configure it, then I read in the post below, you had to go to the link, http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/welcome/ for shockwave, and figured it would lead me to flash and all that crap. I remembered what a PIA it was. I went over there, and it says flash works, but I still don't know if it's the latest flash or not. On the right it says I need to install "other sw", but that probably because I don't have shockwave installed.
BTW, when I used their uninstaller from an administrator account, it completely wiped out my FX profile in the limited user account for some reason. It didn't do anything to the FX profiles in the administrator's accounts. I keep an updated copy of the limited user account's FX profile, and just reinstalled it, but I'm sick and tired of adobe flash and all the BS your have to go on the 'net to configure it or even find it. Any freeware flash players out there that are just as good (and safe) and you don't have go thru all this 'net BS to configure? Also, where do find the files for that Adobe flash player, when you're using FX as your browser, and where should it be located in FX....and does it even work with FX? I guess it's in ActiveX in IE, but I don't know, and I'm not using IE and have access to IE closed, or partially closed is a better term. I checked program files and common program files, the FX local profiles, the FX folder under program files, application data under Docs/settings, but I can't find it. Weirdest freakin' user unfriendly SW that I've ever seen.​
Never mind, I finally found that *&^$$%&&(*() security panel. This software seems like a huge security risk as you don't and can't tell w/o connecting to Adobe and that Adobe flash security panel if it's actually setup secure. I just absolutely hate it, so if anyone has some suggestions on a better flash player that you can control locally, I'll uninstall it completely, or if there's any way to just make sure locally that it's off and it's settings can't be changed until you need to use it. Will NoScript lock it down for security, if you check "forbid Adobe Flash" ? I did have that checked when I went over to the Adobe website, and I couldn't read the flash window until I allowed the blocked 'script. in the upper left, but I'm still uneasy about software that your can't control it's settings locally w/o connecting to/thru some website on the 'net.

peterh40

Peter
The flash player for IE and Firefox is in C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash. The IE one is called Flash9f.ocx and for Firefox its NPSWF32.dll.

You can view current version, by going to a page with a flash object on the web page, right click on the Flash object and select About Adobe Flash Player 9 and it will take you to Adobe site and display version.
You can also get version from the files about on the Version or Details tab of its properties.

As for removal, just either use the Uninstall tool in the same folder (See above) or delete all the files in the folder to remove it.

You can check your flash version here; http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=tn_15507&sliceId=2 and if yours isn't 9.0.124.0, you can get the non Active X version from here; http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash

If you use Firefox with the NoScript extension, flash player appears to be turned off by default, so you only need to 'allow' it if a page you are viewing doesn't display properly. My default browser is Opera and I haven't checked the settings regarding flash so I don't know how it handles flash 'objects'.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online