1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Adobe Flash Update Problem

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by tjpeel, Feb 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tjpeel

tjpeel Thread Starter

I have the latest version of Adobe Flash and I am told I need 4 updates, I have searched Adobe's website and can't find them, have no way to contact Adobe to get them, Can't find it on my computer to run so I can update and clear error message from the Belarc report. Belarc recommended your site.
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E7500 @ 2.93GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 4061 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) G41 Express Chipset, 1806 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 455 GB (374 GB Free); D: 10 GB (1 GB Free);
    Motherboard: FOXCONN, 2A8C
    Antivirus: Webroot SecureAnywhere, Enabled and Updated

2. TOGG

TOGG

Hi tjpeel,

I think the first thing to consider is that Belarc Adviser may be wrong. I stopped using it some time ago because it insisted that my W7 system lacked one or more Windows patches but I either already had them or didn't need them.

The latest version of Flash is 28.0.161 and if you have that you are good to go, bearing in mind that there is one version for Internet Explorer and at least two others for Firefox and Chromium based browsers (I don't use Google Chrome but I believe it updates its Flash version automatically and Windows 10 probably does as well).

Have a look at this Adobe support article;https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/installation-problems-flash-player-windows.html If you scroll to the foot of the page you will find links to .exe versions of Flash for each browser which you download and doubleclick on to install (having closed the relevant browser first!). Since I had problems with Adobe's 'normal' update method, I have always used .exe versions.

3. tjpeel

tjpeel Thread Starter

Thank you. I did as you suggested but that still did NOT fix the problem. My BelArc report still shows 4 errors. I rebooted and ran BelArc again and it stills shows 4 errors. I appreciate your help. Hopefully someone will come up with a solution. By the way do you know where Adobe puts the file after you execute it. Maybe if I can find it I can get to update. Have a nice day and smile!

4. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    What 4 Adobe files did Belarc say were needed?
    These first 3 were released on 6 Feb.
    flash for Firefox
    Code:
    https://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/flashplayer/latest/help/install_flash_player.exe
    flash for Chromium based browsers and Opera
    Code:
    https://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/flashplayer/latest/help/install_flash_player_ppapi.exe
    Adobe AIR
    Code:
    http://get.adobe.com/air/
    These were released 13 Feb.
    Reader DC was updated to 18.011.20036
    Acrobat DC to 18.011.20035

To get these 2 updates, if you have either or both installed, open the program, click on Help, then Check for Updates.

5. tjpeel

tjpeel Thread Starter

I updated Adobe Acrobat Reader. I ran the BelArc Report. This is what I need:
    These security updates apply to this computer but are not currently installed (using Advisor definitions version 2018.2.7.1), according to the 02/06/2018 Microsoft Security Bulletin Summary and bulletins from other vendors. Note: Security benchmarks require that Critical and Important severity security updates must be installed.

Hotfix Id Severity Description (click to see security bulletin)
    APSB18-03 Important Adobe Flash Player security update for Flash Player 11.3.300.262 Plugin 64-bit
    APSB18-03 Important Adobe Flash Player security update for Flash Player 11.3.300.262 Plugin 32-bit
    APSB18-03 Important Adobe Flash Player security update for Flash Player 28.0.0.137 ActiveX 64-bit
    APSB18-03 Important Adobe Flash Player security update for Flash Player 28.0.0.137 ActiveX 32-bit

6. tjpeel

tjpeel Thread Starter

I click the links but can't find where to download the updates and I can't find it on my computer anywhere. I have updated Chrome and Chrome says Adobe Flash is OK.

7. TOGG

TOGG

The first two updates referred to in your extract from the Belarc report could be to Adobe Shockwave Player, which is, apparently, a more powerful type of player, formerly called Macromedia Shockwave. I believe it is now at version 12 but I have never had it on this computer and so know nothing about it other than what can be found by searching online. If you accept that the Belarc findings are accurate, you would appear to have a version of Shockwave installed as a plugin for Internet Explorer and need the 64 bit version from the relevant link.

As for Adobe Flash Player itself, assuming you have no additional browsers installed, you appear only to need the Active X version for IE (the third item in the Belarc list). In my Programs and Features list 'Adobe Flash Player Active X' appears as a 19.3MB file installed on 6/2/18. If you have allowed Flash to update itself previously there may be nothing much for you to find except an entry in Programs and Features similar to mine.

If you updated manually using Adobe's 'normal' method I think you get what they call a meta file a few KB's in size which then downloads the rest of the update from Adobe's site while the browser stays open. I would not expect there to be any traces of the meta file left on your computer if the upgrade was successful.

PS. If you have actually downloaded and installed an .exe file for the Active X version of Flash from the links I provided, it might help if you rebooted your computer and then ran Belarc again, just in case it makes any difference

8. TOGG

TOGG

Some information about Shockwave Player which may, or may not, throw some more light on the situation;http://www.shouldiremoveit.com/adobe-shockwave-player-6848-program.aspx

Whatever, I strongly recommend that you do NOT click on any of the buttons on this webpage or download anything it is offering because the program it promotes wouldn't assist with your issue.

Also, if you are confident that the Belarc results are reliable, it may be that you need both 32 and 64 bit updates for Flash because I dimly remember reading that both can sometimes be used in certain circumstances. However, I would need more research to confirm whether or not my memory is accurate on that point.

9. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The most current version of Adobe Flash Player for Windows 7 is 28.0.0.161

You can obtain the full installer files from HERE.

---------------------------------------------------------------

10. tjpeel

tjpeel Thread Starter

I searched around the control panel and found several versions of Adobe Flash installed and I uninstalled all of them and rebooted then I went to Adobe Flash and downloaded and installed the latest version. I rebooted. I ran the BelArc report and the erros went away! This problem has been solved!

11. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
  12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1204829

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice