1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Adobe Flash

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by jimmcq, Jan 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jimmcq

jimmcq Thread Starter

Hey out there,
    My wife's system, same configuration as mine, won't let her look at a number of sites, Youtube and recipes on Pinterest. She gets an error message that says she needs to install Adobe Flash. Adobe Flash seems to be installed but just to make sure I have uninstalled it and reloaded is three times. Each time it appears to be a successful install but the error message still comes up. Any clues?
    Jim

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

What browser is she using?

3. jimmcq

jimmcq Thread Starter

Phantom,
    Firefox. We were using IE but for some reason there is a compatibility problem here in Tracy, Central CA, and it would simply disconnect. Had the same music stage problem with IE.
    I need to find out why her computer stats didn't show up.
    Keep digging, please.
    Jim

4. Phantom010

Have you checked to make sure the Shockwave Flash plugin was indeed enabled inside Firefox?

5. jimmcq

jimmcq Thread Starter

Hey Phantom,
    This gets "curiouser and curiouser". I clicked on Firefox Add-ons Manager and the system went into a close circle so to speak. It told me that Shockwave Flash is known to be vulnerable and should be updated. I clicked the Update now box and started the circle of update now and Firefox will not allow Flash Player. I am going to check my computer, which is the same as my wife's but a year newer, to see if I have Adobe Flash installed.
    I'll let you know.
    Jim

6. PSCO2007

PSCO2007

I was using Firefox and it also aid Flash was installed, but all of a sudden I couldn't view many sites.

I downloaded it again and all is now well.

7. jimmcq

jimmcq Thread Starter

PSCO...
    I have removed and reloaded Flash a minimum of 3 times. Firefox is still not cooperating and their help function is nonexistent.
    Thanks for the "try".
    Jim

8. jimmcq

jimmcq Thread Starter

Paul,
    You went away.... I figured that if Firefox won't allow Adobe Flash maybe IE will. But nothing I do will allow me to reinstall IE.
    The error messages are as follows: Firefox has prevented the outdated plug in "Adobe Flash" from running on get.adobe.com. When I tried to download IE the message changed to: Firefox has prevented the unsafe plug in "Java" from running on www.mozilla.com. Checking the list of downloads shows Adobe Flash as needing to be installed but when I try to install it I get the first error message.
    My wife would really like to visit some of her sewing sites but Firefox will not cooperate.
    HELP, please.
    Jim

9. PSCO2007

PSCO2007

Hi, Jim

I didn't go away, but my solution doesn't seem to be helping you.

As I said, when I reinstalled Flash in Firefox, all sites were again accessible.

I'll keep looking for a different solution, and in the meantime maybe someone else will chime in.

Also check if an add-on might be blocking the sites you want to see.

I had Ad-block installed and disabled it (after reinstalling Flash) and I had success.

Try running Firefox in Safe Mode and if you can see the sites, add one add-on at a time to confirm if that was the problem.

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Firefox and IE use different versions of Adobe Flash.

Go to Programs & Features in the Control Panel for Windows Vista, 7, or 8/8.1(or Add & Remove Programs for obsolete operating systems like Windows XP), and uninstall all Adobe Flash, Shockwave Flash, Macromedia Flash, Shockwave programs. Reboot and then run the Adobe Flash uninstaller: http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/uninstall-flash-player-windows.html Reboot again.

Then open up IE and visit: https://get.adobe.com/ca/flashplayer/
    Uncheck any free add-on they offer and install Adobe Flash.

For Firefox you must do the same: https://get.adobe.com/ca/flashplayer/

If all else fails, install Google Chrome browser which comes with it's own version of Flash that auto updates with Chrome: http://www.google.com/chrome/

11. Phantom010

After uninstalling Flash with the Uninstaller above, I'd go HERE to download and install the .exe files offline. That should avoid any conflicts with the usual online installation process. Make sure all browsers are closed before installing.

12. jimmcq

jimmcq Thread Starter

Hey Rob,
    Adobe Flash is a very uncooperative program. Attempting to uninstall the Adobe Flash programs brings up the following: The installer will automatically close when these conflicting applications are closed: Mozilla Firefox. Not too eager to close FF because when I do my online communications will close. Am I off base here?
    Frustrated Jim

13. Phantom010

You have to close Firefox for the process to begin.

14. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Yup, you can't uninstall something that is in active use. Close Firefox.

15. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    You also can not update flash with any browser open.
    There have been 3 updates since January 13th the last two to close zero day exploits in the wild. (On the 22nd and the 25th of Jan)

As of January 25th the current version is 16.0.0.296

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!